Loader I think I really messed up new tractor

/ I think I really messed up new tractor #72  
Looks like that would take the Q out of QA.
Heh, good observation.

I use it only when the grapple is attached. Before I added it, I kept getting big limbs and debris kicking up underneath and knocking a lever into the unlocked position. The first time it happened, the grapple detached from one side and bent the torque tube between the QA plates, just like the OP.

No more.

p.s.: I also added an expanded metal shield to the back of the grapple.

/ I think I really messed up new tractor #73  
You know when I first looked at your photo, I was thinking Wow! that takes all of the Q out of the QA. but then I realized that the shackles have a screw in pin not shown on the back side that takes you probably less than 15 seconds extra to hook up or disconnect as you only have to unscrew one to get both levers free. It is just that the photo is hard to understand at first since the screw part of the shackle is not showing.. Pretty cool:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ I think I really messed up new tractor #74  
You know when I first looked at your photo, I was thinking Wow! that takes all of the Q out of the QA. but then I realized that the shackles have a screw in pin not shown on the back side that takes you probably less than 15 seconds extra to hook up or disconnect as you only have to unscrew one to get both levers free. It is just that the photo is hard to understand at first since the screw part of the shackle is not showing.. Pretty cool:thumbsup:

James K0UA

You're correct, James. It takes a few seconds to spin out the shackle screw and unhook one side. After unhooking, I usually just fish one end of the cable through the U-bolt and secure the loose shackle to the the other shackle when I'm not using the grapple. (Does that make sense?)

It never occurred to me that one might think it was permanently locked down! :)

/ I think I really messed up new tractor #75  
This is how I made sure my QA never accidentally comes unlatched again.

Like the look of those cable clamps- are they something special- never seen anything but cable clamps with nutz and shackles before these...

/ I think I really messed up new tractor #76  
Or it wasn't correctly seated/ locked.

I only threw that out as I had a Markham bucket that would fall off due to being made wrong for the Kubota QA.

Some have had the levers get knocked open and cause a problem.

If you look at a Kubota QA you will see the top edge is rebated and if the attachment does not have full plate the attachment will set low and have about 1/2" of space underneath by the pins and then it can come off.

I had to put a 1/2" x 2 1/2" bar stock onto my bucket to make it fit properly.

Attachments

• 5-17-2007 002.jpg
    5-17-2007 002.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 5-17-2007 005.jpg
    5-17-2007 005.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 238
  • 5-17-2007 007.jpg
    5-17-2007 007.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 251
  • 5-17-2007 006.jpg
    5-17-2007 006.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 261
   / I think I really messed up new tractor #77  
Like the look of those cable clamps- are they something special- never seen anything but cable clamps with nutz and shackles before these...

A swaging tool would've come in mighty handy, but I don't have one.

3/16" wire rope; appropriately sized thimbles; and a pair of these from Home Depot.

/ I think I really messed up new tractor #79  
Wow, I never saw so many posts to a problem in such a short time. I'm glad to see the problem resolved satisfactorally(sp?), with so many helpful comments. I've noticed some posts never seem to get any replied.
I threw out a question recently, re my VTEK FEL w/a QA, wondering if there were any other attachments to fit, w/no replies.
I have tried to lift a bundle of logs which almost dumped the tractor, as it was not on the level. I agree w/some of the other posters, that you must be very careful lifting a long log.

/ I think I really messed up new tractor #80  
I tried to pic up a tree with my grapple that was apparently to heavy for my loader. It was about 30ft. I just wanted to pic one end up to make the sawing a little easier. I got it up to high...picked the tree up. It rocked a little then the right side loader quick connect popped off the grapple. The loader is pretty bent up. Take a look at the pictures and let me know if the tractor needs to go back to the dealer.

Put a damper on the weekend!

Fairly predictable. Need to keep loader loads evenly distributed and low to the ground. Here the uneven load coupled with height put a twist on the loader frame and apparently twisted the QA right out of the bracket on the grapple. QA has very little securing it to the grapple.
Be very thankful someone was not hurt or killed.
Common problem with small tractors & loaders -- very easy to overload. I'm guessing that grapple alone was 50% or more of rated load. I have Kubota L3400 with loader and I am very conscious of this issue. I've had a JD 4020D with a loader rated for much bigger tractor and there is a huge difference between these two units.

I use a grapple on my Kubota LV75 and its incredible hydraulic lift keeps me cautious. As my dad used to say, "It doesn't take long to get hurt." And that applies to flesh, bone & steel.