Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

Default What to use for snow clearing?

Okay so I have a back blade, box blade and snow blower, but what do I use to remove snow from a interlocking brick driveway. I don't want to wreck it after spending close to 45k on it. Idon't want to scratch it or hit an edge. For heavy snow the blower works fine but doesn't remove everything. I want it bare. Is a pto /power broom a good idea or is there something better?
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

Tractor
    Bobcat S185 skid steer - Ferris IS500Z - JD GT235

Default Re: What to use for snow clearing?

Quote Originally Posted by yelbike View Post
    Okay so I have a back blade, box blade and snow blower, but what do I use to remove snow from a interlocking brick driveway. I don't want to wreck it after spending close to 45k on it. Idon't want to scratch it or hit an edge. For heavy snow the blower works fine but doesn't remove everything. I want it bare. Is a pto /power broom a good idea or is there something better?
    Possibly rig some sort of hard rubber edge to your back blade?
    It probably looks marvelous during the non winter seasons, but would not have been my first choice.
    Todd

Also - E Terra E 60 SSQA backhoe • Erskine 73" blower •TSC QA boom pole • Bradco 48" forks • JLG T350 Boom Lift • 2001 Ford F450 w/Telsta A28D aerial lift • CAM Superline 6x12 dump • (2) Kristi 7x18 enclosed • 2014 Ford F250 Super Cab gasser • 2007 Mustang GT • 2007 Crown Vic P71 Police Interceptor

Tractor
    TYM 353HST

Check the Snow Removal Forum, a lot of people bolt on a rubber edge to their blade and it works like a squeege on concrete/asphalt drives. I would think it would work the same on your driveway.
    Isa 43:2-3

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE HST

Urethane edge is what you would put on a truck plow. I guess you could put one on the back blade but it might be too light to make the urethane conform to the driveway.
    I've used a strip of car tire tread on the bottom of my ATV plow that worked well for a while on my rough rough gravel driveway. Probably the tread section of a high load rated pickup tire would last for years, but cutting it might be a challenge. I used a skil-saw for the car tires but it was all the saw could do and all I wanted to hold onto
    2011 DK40SE HST

Tractor
    2010 New Holland 3045

Heated driveway.

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

I have never had a need to try it, but I hear good results with using a piece of PVC pipe, with a cut lengthways, and slipped over the edge.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    all makes and models

Here in central NY we have many places that have gone to the power broom for that job. They will handle snow to the middle of the center axle and then it feeds over the top so a 24" diameter will normally handle snow up to ten inches without an issue.

They do sweep it clean so even the cracks should come clean unless packed from traffic.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3000

I’m still trying to wrap my head around a $45k driveway.
    For lighter snow, the broom would work well. But, I’m guessing you see a lot of heavy snowfalls. The plastic/rubber cutting edge will work fine as long as the bricks are still fairly even. After a couple years, I doubt it works anymore. It’s just a hunch, but I don’t think it’ll be possible to get it completely clear of a heavy snow at that point.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

For 45 grand for a driveway it should be heated AND serve beer!!!!
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    John Deere 4520

Quote Originally Posted by yelbike
    I use a rubber edge but on my front blade. I am sure that you could do the same although on you back blade. I made my rubber edge out of a barn mat - very heavy rubber material about 1" thick. I left the steel cutting edge on, extended the rubber about 1.5" below the steel blade then added a 1/8 " plate on top to hold it tight.

-image-1757597190-png

I would guess that a polyurethane edge may be a bit too stiff and pull up some of your brick edges.
    Gary

JD 4520, 400X FEL, Frontier Front Blade, Box Blade, Rotary Cutter, Landscape Rake, 48" Wildkat Grapple and PHD

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast