Snow What to use for snow clearing?

/ What to use for snow clearing? #1  

yelbike

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465
Okay so I have a back blade, box blade and snow blower, but what do I use to remove snow from a interlocking brick driveway. I don't want to wreck it after spending close to 45k on it. Idon't want to scratch it or hit an edge. For heavy snow the blower works fine but doesn't remove everything. I want it bare. Is a pto /power broom a good idea or is there something better?

/ What to use for snow clearing? #2  
Okay so I have a back blade, box blade and snow blower, but what do I use to remove snow from a interlocking brick driveway. I don't want to wreck it after spending close to 45k on it. Idon't want to scratch it or hit an edge. For heavy snow the blower works fine but doesn't remove everything. I want it bare. Is a pto /power broom a good idea or is there something better?

Possibly rig some sort of hard rubber edge to your back blade?
It probably looks marvelous during the non winter seasons, but would not have been my first choice.

/ What to use for snow clearing? #3  
Check the Snow Removal Forum, a lot of people bolt on a rubber edge to their blade and it works like a squeege on concrete/asphalt drives. I would think it would work the same on your driveway.

/ What to use for snow clearing? #4  
Urethane edge is what you would put on a truck plow. I guess you could put one on the back blade but it might be too light to make the urethane conform to the driveway.
I've used a strip of car tire tread on the bottom of my ATV plow that worked well for a while on my rough rough gravel driveway. Probably the tread section of a high load rated pickup tire would last for years, but cutting it might be a challenge. I used a skil-saw for the car tires but it was all the saw could do and all I wanted to hold onto:laughing:

/ What to use for snow clearing? #5  
Heated driveway.

/ What to use for snow clearing? #6  
I have never had a need to try it, but I hear good results with using a piece of PVC pipe, with a cut lengthways, and slipped over the edge.

/ What to use for snow clearing? #7  
Here in central NY we have many places that have gone to the power broom for that job. They will handle snow to the middle of the center axle and then it feeds over the top so a 24" diameter will normally handle snow up to ten inches without an issue.

They do sweep it clean so even the cracks should come clean unless packed from traffic.

/ What to use for snow clearing? #8  
I’m still trying to wrap my head around a $45k driveway. :D
For lighter snow, the broom would work well. But, I’m guessing you see a lot of heavy snowfalls. The plastic/rubber cutting edge will work fine as long as the bricks are still fairly even. After a couple years, I doubt it works anymore. It’s just a hunch, but I don’t think it’ll be possible to get it completely clear of a heavy snow at that point.

/ What to use for snow clearing? #9  
For 45 grand for a driveway it should be heated AND serve beer!!!!:laughing:

/ What to use for snow clearing? #10  
yelbike said:

I use a rubber edge but on my front blade. I am sure that you could do the same although on you back blade. I made my rubber edge out of a barn mat - very heavy rubber material about 1" thick. I left the steel cutting edge on, extended the rubber about 1.5" below the steel blade then added a 1/8 " plate on top to hold it tight.

image-1757597190.png

I would guess that a polyurethane edge may be a bit too stiff and pull up some of your brick edges.