Garden Tractors

/ Garden Tractors #1  

mjm1

Tractor
Kubota L3430
Evaluating a Deere X530 and X720 or X740. Am concerned about being able to lift the 54" deck from the X700 tractors because of the weight. I like to clean my deck and sharpen the blades frequently. Any advice? Thank you.

/ Garden Tractors #2  
   / Garden Tractors #3  
Evaluating a Deere X530 and X720 or X740. Am concerned about being able to lift the 54" deck from the X700 tractors because of the weight. I like to clean my deck and sharpen the blades frequently. Any advice? Thank you.

The deck you mention is probably lighter than the 376 pound 60 inch 7-Iron on my Deere, which is a good thing. Not sure what system the newer tractors use to mount the deck but the one on mine is a grade-A, PIB HEADACHE to remove and replace, much of that is because my tractor is fitted with the FEL. Removing my deck is a half-hour job, replacing it takes 2X as long.

I am 5 foot 7, weight 170 pounds, and I can just barely pick up the front edge of my deck and lift it 14 inches to prop the front edge in jackstands so I can powerwash the underside. I actually use the FEL to lift it now, that example of how I used to lift the deck was just for your reference. I put about 80 mowing hours a year on my tractor, and do not remove the deck for a real cleaning and blade resharpening until done mowing for the year.

May I suggest, that instead of removing your deck for cleaning and blade sharpening, you get a sturdy pair of auto ramps, and drive the front end of your machine up onto the ramps, lock the parking brake, and prop up the discharge chute. This method works VERY well for enabling easier access to the blades and for using a power washer to remove debris after using a scraper with a long handle to knock off the heavy clumps of grass. I do a cleaning in mid year using the ramps method. Hope this helps.

And BTW, for removing and reinstalling my deck, when it is under the tractor, I use a long length of 2X4 as a lever and prop 4X4 and 2X4 wood blocks and assorted wood shims under my deck wheels to get it in the proper position to hook up or remove the linkage. Much easier and safer than lifting by hand !!!

/ Garden Tractors #4  
Drive over decks are great! I have one on my 3320.

/ Garden Tractors
Thanks JDGreen. You have confirmed my fear. (I am about your size, 62 yrs old with back issues). My existing 42" deck on a GT 225 is easy. The 54" on an X530 should be similar. Existing tractor is excellent, I just want to update and cut wider.

/ Garden Tractors #6  
Glad I could be of assistance. You joined a great site here that has an unlimited amount of information.

/ Garden Tractors #7  

Might want to consider the 7 iron 60" deck on the x700 series as it is easy to clean and stays cleaner by design. Never needed to use blocks or levers to remove/replace my deck on the x749.

If you find that raising up the deck is an issue for you with back problems I would find a good work around. Might be just a simple come along or use the ramps as mentioned above.

FWIW, I use to have to sharpen my blades very frequently but now that I have my lawn in good shape I get alot more use out of each sharpening. I think one of the real advantages to having the larger model mowers is the ability to make real improvements to your lawn areas. Which mower you decide to go with imo would be determined by what you need to do long term. My experience is the x7xx model does a great job with attachments and can enable you to make considerable improvements to the lawn.

The x530 is plenty of mower for maintaining and mowing duties but the sleeve hitch is not as good for use with implements. My take is the x530 would speed up your mowing time quite a lot over your present GT225 with the 42" deck.

Which mower to go with depends on your own situation and needs but frequent trading and upgrading can be costly. I recommend you make sure the new mower will handle your long term needs.

/ Garden Tractors #8  
Only way I can attach the rear lift links and clevises on my 7-Iron deck is to drive the rear wheels up on patio blocks about 4-5 inches high, remove the drawbar, raise the 3-pt arms, then I have enough room under the rear of the tractor to to slide in on my back (upside down) under the rear axle housing and reach the linkage which is crammed into a very restricted space underneath the tractor. Crawling underneath is also the easiest way to install the MMM shaft that connects to the PTO. Since the only way to reach the rear lift link ssemblies is to block the rear wheels up, that means I also have to block up the deck.

The X749 is a MUCH smaller frame tractor than mine, and most likely lower to the ground. My 318 has a 50 inch deck and that is a snap to remove and replace as it is so light. I made the comments about my 7-Iron to warn mjm1 what he MIGHT experience with a heavy deck. I can remove and reinstall the FEL on my bigger Deere in five minutes either way which is why I find the MMM installation and removal such a PIB.

/ Garden Tractors
Thank you. I am zeroing in on a X530 now. My GT 225 has been bulletproof for ten years, I expect that a new one will be too. The GT will be going to one of my sons as it still has a lot of life with only 500 hrs. on it. Hope the Kawasaki is as good as the Kohler has been.

/ Garden Tractors
The liquid cooled X540 has captured my attention. Is the liquid worth the extra $900 (it sure is in snowmobiles!)
Still also tempted on the X720 or X740 and believe it or not, a Kubota BX. I tested the BX and it seems to ride rougher, requires more steering wheel turns and has a clunky powerflo. But it has an FEL and 3 pt. hitch. Hard to decide.