PTO Sprayer Pump

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #11  
Murph,
The PTO pump definitely has a higher 'cool' factor.
Good point about using a boom....the low end ATV sprayers are probably barely adequate for this type activity. Not that I need a boom, but......you never know....will definitely need it next month if I don't purchase it now!

Here I go again....start shopping for a new tool at a modest price for occassional use....end up shopping for the the biggest, baddest, commercial grade tool I can find. Remember "Tim-the-Tool-Man Taylor" from the show "Home Improvement"? No wonder I enjoyed that show so much....Tim reminds me of.... ME!

/ PTO Sprayer Pump
I'm sorry Chris, I wasn't clear.

Just a pto pump alone is $50 - 70. I guess I'm so used to going to the farm supply store & getting parts, I wasn't thinking the whole package.

Electric should work fine for smaller projects, and mounting can be more flexable. The pto pump probably will outlive the electric pump, but that can be a moot point for small volumes of spraying. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--->Paul

/ PTO Sprayer Pump
Thanks, everyone, for the help. I'll rig it up as suggested, and see how it works. We're actually getting some rain in Nebraska, so maybe we'll have some weeds to kill this year. And as long as the grass is going to grow, I might as well fertilize it.

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #14  
So just how much more volume can a pto pump put out? I have a 25 gallon sprayer equipped with a 3 gpm electric pump that works o.k. for the lawn. However, I have some applications that need at least twice that volume, and a lot more pressure for more distance. I do some aquatic vegetation control and driving around a pond spraying cattails on my 2910 would be a hoot!

Usually I use a small Honda gas pump in my boat and draw mix from a tank. This works great in most situations, but a land-based spray system would be nice occasionally.

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #15  
Back a few years ago, I drove a valmet tractor with a 120 gallon tank and pto sprayer pump / hand held nozle attatchment. I was driving around one of the residential developments we had just paved and i was spraying the shoulder of the road for grass control. I had no problem hitting either shoulder from the center of the 2 lane road. Had no problem hitting nuisance trees / shrubs growing around the street signs or survey delineators on the backslops ( out of the r/w ditch ).

Soundguy

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 3 gpm . . . need at least twice that volume, and a lot more pressure )</font>

John, that's easy. Look at this site for a little information on the Hypro roller pumps; up to 300 psi and 2 to 74 gpm. I had one, but instead of running it off the tractor PTO, I got it as a separate unit, running off a 3hp Briggs engine; same pump could be used on the PTO. And now I can't remember the name of the dealer, but he's just a couple of blocks west of I-35 in Hewitt.

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #17  
Hmm, sounds like a new toy to look at. Thanks for the replies.

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #18  
Deertick,

A hypro 6500 is a very good pump for pto operation. You must keep it flushed and clean after use. The best setup I have used is street elbows and camlock fittings at the pump connections. I can remove the pump and flush it, then add some otor oil for storage.

I bought a new "silvercast" 6500 on ebay for about $60. It tool 2 years of looking, however. The silvercast is a stainless steel like alloy that is much less prone to corrosion.

A sprayer with a pump like this can really put out the chemicals. My aluminum spray gun uses $2 orifice tips. With the fine tip I can apply a light mist with a fine cone shaped spray pattern or a small sharp stream. If I use the really big tip I can put out fertilizer or can apply bleach/soap with a spray that seems stromger than a small pressure washer.

I had an electric until the switch broke. Consumer grade jproducts are not really made where they are easy to repair. Switch fell to pieces. Now I am much more happy with the pto sprayer. I can easily spray 7 acres in a few hours.

jrpoux

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #19  
<font color="blue"> I have a 55 gallon electric boom and wand sprayer that I made from parts </font>
I'm always impressed by folks that make their own...

I have a Hypro roller pump and 55 gal. 3ph boom sprayer, both from TSC. It does not have a wand attachment, though. I have an old wand from a defunct 3gal. hand sprayer. Is there a way to hook it into the system to use instead of the boom for small "touch-up" spraying?

OkieG

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #20  
OkieG, you can put a "Y" type valve in the line going to the boom, with one hose going on to the boom and the other to your wand, so you can easily switch from one to the other.