PTO Sprayer Pump

/ PTO Sprayer Pump
How do these pumps work if you want to pull the water from a pond? Can the out put be to a regular garden hose?

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Can the out put be to a regular garden hose? )</font>

Yep, in fact, I put brass quick couplers on all the garden hoses and on the pump output after the pressure regulator of course. All you need is a few little fittings you can get at almost any hardware store.

/ PTO Sprayer Pump
Pressure regulator? Do you need one... I was thinking a hose with a nozzle on it would regulate the flow. Am I thinking right? Also what size line in do you use.. If I am coming from a pond what might I use. Also, will the pump push water up hill?

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Pressure regulator? Do you need one )</font>

I don't have all the answers. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Although my Hypro roller pump was the same pump as the PTO powered ones, mine was on a dedicated sprayer/washer; 25 gallon tank, 3hp Briggs engine with a gear reduction transmission (not sure if that's what they called it), a filter between the tank and the pump, then an adjustable pressure regulator with gauge. When you closed the nozzle, the pressure regulator would let the liquid continue to flow, but from the regulator back into the tank. The pump was rated for up to 300 psi, but for herbicide/insecticide spraying I usually just left it set for about 100 psi. The plumbing (tank to filter and regulator back to tank) was 3/4" garden hose, while the plumbing (filter to pump to regulator to output ball valve to my quick coupler was 3/4" galvanized pipe. I then had a 100' 1/2" high pressure hose that came with the rig, another quick coupler, and used a wand from a 2 gallon pump up sprayer because it was copper and I liked it better than the plastic wand that came with the rig. Any ordinary garden hose could also be used.

There would be no problem putting nipples in the pump inlet and oulet, attaching a garden hose to each, and putting the inlet hose into a barrel, pond, etc. as long as the outlet hose was not closed, but I do think ( and can't say for sure since I never tried it ) that if you had a nozzle on the outlet hose and closed it, the pressure would blow a hole in your hose. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Another thing to consider is that you should have a filter of some type on the inlet side (just a filter screen was what mine had) because you don't want to suck any solids into the pump.

I also started out by thoroughly washing everything out with clean water before putting the rig away. Bad idea; it rusted inside the pump, the pump seized up, and I had to disassemble it and clean it out with the glass bead blaster. I learned that it wouldn't rust if I just left it full of insecticide (no air to get in). Of course the higher priced models are stainless steel and you might not have that problem.

/ PTO Sprayer Pump
These roller pto pumps can put out a great deal of pressure - like 300 lbs or more as stated.

Be real careful using regular garden hose, or converting hand-model wands. You can have quite an eruption, with chemicals flying all over you.

You should have a pressure regulator - it acts as a bypass to keep the pressure low, and allow the chemicals to continue mixing.

These roller pumps are really meant for high-pressure, lower volume pumping. You would want a different type of pto pump if you wanted to get any volume out of a pond. Also they are very fussy about grit & junk in the water - you need a very fine mesh screen inline before the pump. For moving pond water, I'd want a big pto impeller pump.

I farm for a living, and we sure have lots of regulations & such to follow with spraying. Which is a good thing. But if the county patrol stops me, they pull out their wind meter, check the equipment, see if I know the chemical label rules, see what pressure I'm spraying at (ground applications should stay under 20 psi, or you get too much atomization & drifting - sometimes for miles) and so on. If I spill more than an acre's worth of solution in any spot - a fine. If it's because I substituted a garden hose for proper re-enforced hose- bigger fine. Can be quite a penalty if I have any of that wrong, & I'm liabel for my neighbor's crops or gardens on the drift.

Just a head's up, don't know if such issues are true or a concern where you are. Most of the suggestions here would get me a $5000-25,000 fine if I were caught doing them.

Maybe the electric pumps are a better idea for home applications. Less chance for getting yourself into trouble.

--->Paul

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #26  
OkieG,

The electric pump has a built in regulator so you can adjust the pressure to it.
Like Bird said just put a Y in line so you can switch back and forth.
I sprayed 4 ac on sunday it works great. I wish I new how to post a photo on this board
I Would show you guys the sprayer.

Pat

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #27  
<font color="blue"> I wish I new how to post a photo </font>
Yes, I would like to see a picture. Where do I look for the kind of "Y" that I need?

OkieG

/ PTO Sprayer Pump
I'd like to see that too. I might have to look at other ideas of spraying all my trees. I know my 15 gallon ATV unit has to be refilled so many times I would rather have a 100 gal drum filled up one time and get the business done..

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #29  
OkieG, I can't find on the Internet a picture of exactly the valve I was talking about, but try this link for pictures of Y connectors. All they show are the double cut off models, and that would work, but you can buy them that do not cut off. Instead they have a single valve that directs the output to one side or the other.

/ PTO Sprayer Pump
Pat sent me this picture. I thought I would share it with everyone.

Attachments

• 261253-P0001135.jpg
    261253-P0001135.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 441