PTO Sprayer Pump

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have a <font color="blue"> </font> TC-30 <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="black"> </font> and would like to hook up a 25 gallon sprayer to the 3 point hitch ...

The question regards the attachment of a pump to the PTO. The so-called directions indicate that the pump just goes on the PTO shaft, and then is Chained to the frame of the tractor to prevent the pump from spinning.

Seems like an odd setup ... anyone with experience out there?

JGH

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #2  
<font color="blue"> pump just goes on the PTO shaft, and then is Chained to the frame of the tractor </font>

That's a pretty common setup for a PTO pump. The loading is pretty minimal and the pump itself is pretty light. I borrowed a TPH backhoe from a friend and it had a PTO hydraulic pump that hooked up the same way. Only difference is it had a solid bracket to react against instead of a chain, but the idea was the same. The bracket just bumped up against the swinging drawbar, it wasn't bolted to anything /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #3  
Deertick,

That is what you are going to find with just about any sprayer pump. I sprayed many moons ago for an agriculture place and I used a tractor that was 150hp and that is the way that pump was installed. My neighbors John Deere 955 with a 25 gallon sprayer hooks up that way also.

Works pretty good.

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #4  
While we're on the topic of sprayers.....
I'm considering a 25-30 gal sprayer as my next toy....uhhh, I mean tool.
What's the ruling opinion on electric pump vs. PTO? I really haven't shopped for any PTO driven units...have been pricing electric......are PTO driven pumps more or less expensive on average? More or less reliable on average?
I already have a cigarette lighter hook-up on the back of my tractor....so electric would be at least as convenient as PTO.
Just curious.
thx
RET

/ PTO Sprayer Pump
Don't know the price of electric. A pto is $70 or less.

In either, the pump can wear out.

with the electric, the electric motor can wear out as well.

Seems to me the pto is the better deal.

--->Paul

/ PTO Sprayer Pump
Ret,
Electric or PTO pump decision depends somewhat on how much volume/pressure you need to pump. An electric pump will be small HP with lower volume/pressure. A PTO pump will pump much more water.

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #7  
I have a 25 gal. sprayer that is electric driven. Works great. The nice thing is that I can throw it in the bucket of the tractor for field work, and around the house and driveways plug it in to the lawn tractor with the trailer to spray. It puts out far more stuff than I need.

Perhaps a PTO sprayer would be better for shooting high up into trees, but for most work I'd say electric is fine.

Oh, rambler, <font color="blue"> A pto is $70 or less.
</font> $70 for a sprayer? Where'd you find that deal? That just does not sound right... but if it is for real, please let me know where I can pick one up, 'cause that is nice and inexpensive. But I paid more than that for my 5 gallon backpack sprayer. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #8  
Chris,
Am leaning toward one of those ATV sprayers for same reasons you discuss....convenience. And, the price is within reason. I don't have any big needs...I just hate lugging 4 gal of stuff on my backpack sprayer on a 90 deg. day. By the time I've applied 20 gal. via backpack sprayer (4-5 refills)...I'm shot for the day.

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #9  
Rat,

I got me one of them ATV sprayers. Not from the catolog but a home made one from an AG company. It has the larger electric pump and on it and I loved it with my ATV. I am now building a bracket to convert it to my 3 PH. Watching my neighbor with his PTO powered one does make me somewhat jealous. It just looks like he has such a better spray pattern and more even. The electric does just OK and that is it. I have the larger boom of the two models for ATV. It is kind of hard keeping the pressure up there.

murph

/ PTO Sprayer Pump #10  
Hi ALL:

I have a 55 gallon electric boom and wand sprayer that I made from parts that,
I orderd from the Northern catolog. I have about $300.00 in the hole setup and have used it for five years.
I like the electric because it is easier turn off and on when you need to turn around . I will take some photos
of it and post them.

Pat Ryan