Marine Battery?

/ Marine Battery?
The Group 24 (only one that fits) battery is 800CCA & 1000CA, which I am quite sure is way more than the OEM (Ingersall Rand) one.

From all the reading I did, there are 2 types of "marine" batteries. Deep cycle and "hard use starting". The starting versions are labeled Marine/RV starting and are built to absorb the punishment a boat gives when bouncing over waves, etc., which is basically what a tractor is doing, except in a field.

I installed it and the tractor started up in 20* WAY faster than the OEM one ever did. In any event, with a 2yr warranty, if it doesn't work out, I bring it back and get a different one.

/ Marine Battery? #12  
Marine batteries are either starting batteries with high cranking amps or deep cycle which as the name implies, allow the battery to go from fully charged to nearly empty and then back to fully charged many times during their life.
Deep cycles are used for tasks like live-wells and trolling motors, which need high amps and are heavy loads on the battery(s) being used.
My Mako used to have 2 of each and I eliminated the two deep cycle because I no longer have the trolling motor, and I rarely use the live-well for long periods of time.
I now use two marine starting batteries made by Interstate, and they do the job of supplying the massive amount of cranking amps necessary to start my 200HP DI (direct injection) Mercury outboard. Less than 11.8 volts, ( as I recall), and the engine computer rejects attempts to start, to protect itself.

One other note: unless the buyer or seller punches out the date code on the battery label, which shows date purchased, NOT date manufactured, it is not possible to know when the battery was actually manufactured UNLESS one has the 'code breaker' to read the stamped into the case code put there by mfg. at time of build.

/ Marine Battery? #13  
I have a deep cycle marine battery I use in my dump trailer for running the lift motor, I will put the charger on it a couple of times during the summer. In the winter I put it in a 90 Chevy Suburban that for many years I used for snow plowing. It will start the Chevy in below zero weather easily.

Al

/ Marine Battery? #14  
I used to have to replace the batteries in my go-fast boat almost every year. The pounding and vibration causes the surface of the plates to sluff off, fall to the bottom and short the battery out.
Back in those days there weren't Optimas or marine starting batteries.

/ Marine Battery? #15  
Understand you don't want to pay double for an Optima. But I've found the yellow tops to be worth it. They are a frigging great unit, with deep cycle and starting capability, as well as vibration and temperature tolerance. If you did decide to spend the money you wouldn't go wrong with one.

/ Marine Battery?
Understand you don't want to pay double for an Optima. But I've found the yellow tops to be worth it. They are a frigging great unit, with deep cycle and starting capability, as well as vibration and temperature tolerance. If you did decide to spend the money you wouldn't go wrong with one.

I understand the Optima Yellow top is "The" battery to have, but I look at it like this. The battery is in my tractor which gets used 2-4 times a week. I have no doubt it will last 4-5 yrs. At that time, I will chuck it and buy a new one. The Optima may last 5-7 years, but at the back end of that time, it will in no way be like a new battery.

"6 of one, half a dozen of the other"

/ Marine Battery? #17  
Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit. Wisdom is knowing you don't put them in a fruit salad. Your assessment is a wise one.

/ Marine Battery? #18  
Some of us have had acid spilling from our batteries which was rotting our radiators so we went yellow top.

/ Marine Battery? #19  
Just bumping this thread to see how the marine battery is holding out. My CT335 battery died today, and I am thinking about follwing the OP down the marine starting battery route. Any feedback out there?

/ Marine Battery? #20  
I prefer the Odyssey or Die Hard platimum they build for Sears, use to use the Optimas' in my boat but too many failures with them. Since changing over to the Odysseys' the reserve capacity is much better than the OPtimas. For vehicles which are started and used frequently I get a full six years out of the Walmart Everstart Maxx for a lot less cost. The tractors all get the agm batteries DieHard because of vibration. I am getting ready to replace the Deere battery in my 4520 next week and hope I can find a DieHard or Odyssey that fits.