Marine Battery?

/ Marine Battery? #1  

robertwhite

Silver Member
Need to replace the original battery (group 24) in my Bobcat CT335. Had to actually charge it last night before it would start (30*) Battery is about 3.5 yrs old. Tiny bit of corrosion on the post.

When I look at Advance Auto site they show a "marine" battery, which supposedly is vibration resistant and sealed. It sells for $80 and is 700CCA.

Anyone use this type before? (I don't want to spend $160 for an Optima)

(cross posted on Bobcat forum as need to get this in a hurry)

/ Marine Battery? #2  
Sounds like your talking about a a deep cycle battery. don't think you should be using a deep cycle, should use a starting battery. There is a difference.

/ Marine Battery?
Sounds like your talking about a a deep cycle battery. don't think you should be using a deep cycle, should use a starting battery. There is a difference.

Nope, not a deep cycle. It is marine rated as it is supposed to protect from the boat constantly bouncing around.

M24-3 Autocraft Marine 12V Marine/RV Starting Maintenance-Free Battery

/ Marine Battery? #4  
Nope, not a deep cycle. It is marine rated as it is supposed to protect from the boat constantly bouncing around.

M24-3 Autocraft Marine 12V Marine/RV Starting Maintenance-Free Battery

Some boats take an incredible pounding and the internal structure of marine batteries takes this into account.

I couldn't hurt to go Marine Starting.

/ Marine Battery? #5  
Group 24 seems awful small. My Jinma 284 has a group 31 in it.

In the marine industry we only use group 24 batteries for small outboards and onboard generators.

All inboard engines get group 27 or 29 batteries.

Seems small to me.

Chris

/ Marine Battery? #6  
Go with the group 31 batteries. These are truck batteries and usually are paired for reserve capacity for the large diesel engines. I put two new group 31 batteries in my F250 (with some small modifications) and have never looked back. Check with some of the truck dealers (International etc) as they often on sale for around $85 or so and have I believe, 1100 CCA.

Jim

/ Marine Battery?
Group 24 seems awful small.

Go with the group 31 batteries. These are truck batteries and usually are paired for reserve capacity for the large diesel engines.

I have to check the sizes. The Group 24 is what came OEM. If there is no battery tray/box, I will go bigger.

Thanks

ETA: Nope, the Group 31 won't fit. The battery sits in a box right under the air filter. I did however misquote the specs on the Group 24 Maine/RV. It has 800CCA and 1000CA. I would bet the OEM has only 600-650CCA, so this one should be a lot better. Plus it is 4 years old according to the date tag.

Last edited:
   / Marine Battery? #8  
I have to check the sizes. The Group 24 is what came OEM. If there is no battery tray/box, I will go bigger.

Thanks

ETA: Nope, the Group 31 won't fit. The battery sits in a box right under the air filter. I did however misquote the specs on the Group 24 Maine/RV. It has 800CCA and 1000CA. I would bet the OEM has only 600-650CCA, so this one should be a lot better. Plus it is 4 years old according to the date tag.

Robert,

If the marine battery does not have a cranking amps rating close to or equal to a automotive type it will not last long in a tractor where the primary use is starting. Most marine batteries are made for long draw down capablity not for high amp starting loads.

Ron

/ Marine Battery? #9  
Nothing wrong with using a marine starting battery, just make sure you have a high enough cold cranking amp rating. I say this because some are rated in marine cranking amps (MCA) which is their rating at 32F while CCA is rated at 0 F.

I use two types of starting batteries for most of my vehicles, the important stuff gets DieHard Platinum and the rest get WalMart Everstart Maxx 72 month.

/ Marine Battery? #10  
As I understand it, a marine starter battery is a hybrid of the starting capacity of a typical starter battery and the long-life and durability of a true deep-cycle battery.

I have one in my tractor - its about 13 years old now and has been very reliable. It's a group 31, and does not have quite the CCA of a starter battery of the same size, but its more than enough for my 4 cyl gasser. It's lasted twice as long as a starter battery, imo due to the robust construction of the plates.

I think a marine battery is an excellent choice so long as the CCA is sufficient.