texas tractor title

/ texas tractor title
Well Bird I already have 3 sons (10, 11 and 13) and that's all I can handle as you can imagine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But thanks!!!

/ texas tractor title #12  
Yeah, but I already know how to drive a tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ texas tractor title #13  
Here's my .02$ worth.

I bought a used tractor from my NH dealer, and paid the reduced 'farm' tax rate. Just had to sign some form saying the tractor was for farm use.
Just recently bought another used tractor from a used tractor dealer / mechanic. Also paid the reduced farm tax rate.. filled out the same paper as before.

And my opinion on the 'occasional' sales etc is this. Here in florida, you can have a yard sale, and do not need a license to do so, or have to collect sales tax.. though , you are limited to so-many times a year ( forget # ).. more than this, and you need a retail sales license.. otherwise it is the incedental / occasional sale deal... So here in florida anyway, I guess if you sold your tractor at a 'yard sale' I guess it would be legal to do so and not collect tax...

Related funny story.The wife and I do the 'hobby farm' thing, but are getting pretty good at raising saleable animals, and thought about running the farm as a bonna fide business.. filing the schedule F for profit/ loss... depreciate the farm equipment.. write of fthe supplies, etc. Though.. wow.. I guess I need to go get an occupational license for the farm... Called the Tax collectors office and found out that a farm doesn't need an occupational license to do business, or sell items / products produced on the farm.. but that if the farm bought and resold merchandise.. like tack, etc.. they would need a retail sales license for that.
Odd.. I would have figured that I would have needed the license... I guess this is a county to county deal though.. so could be different in other areas.
Any one else have experience or comments about this?

Soundguy

/ texas tractor title #14  
The first Kubota dealer I got a price quote from...

Me: You didn't add in PA sales tax. (6%)
Salesman: You said you own horses, right?
Me: Yep.
Salesman: No sales tax.

I never went back to this place. I figured if this guy was willing to pull a stunt like this, I really didn't want to buy a tractor from him.

The issue with 'bending the rules' about sales tax is if your state department of revenue decides to audit the tractor dealer's books. They're going to concentrate on those sales where no tax was collected. If they visited you, could you prove you qualify as a farmer? If not, you could end up losing a lot more than what the sales tax would have been. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif As Dirty Harry said, "Do you feel lucky?" /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ texas tractor title #15  
I think it's the same in Texas; never heard of a farmer having an occupational license. I hope I'm right 'cause I did the schedule F for 7 years and never had an occupational license and never collected or paid any sales tax. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ texas tractor title
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Yeah, but I already know how to drive a tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )</font>

LOL - well tell ya what - when I get my tractor if you want to visit and teach me how to use it - I'll buy you a Don's barbecue lunch or dinner /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The place is probably about a 70 minute drive from Lewisville...

/ texas tractor title #17  
Be careful, I might take you up on that. I used to go up that way frequently in my younger days when I lived in Plano and liked to fish at Texoma.

/ texas tractor title #18  
Funny thing, I went to Kubota dealer in Longview, he said since I lived in LA I wouldn't have to pay sales tax, I new this /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, what got me wuz, he says I HAVE to pay $50.00 to register???? and I have to provide insurance on new purchase, which he could provide... I went to AR. talked to dealer still no sales tax /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, no register fee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, and never mentioned insurance /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif....I bought it! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif the 3130 DT!!!!
Of course I will insure my tractor through a local insurance agency!

/ texas tractor title #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( says I HAVE to pay $50.00 to register???? and I have to provide insurance on new purchase )</font>

I think he was talking about only if you financed the tractor through Kubota Credit Corporation. If that's not the case, I'd like to hear more details.

/ texas tractor title #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( tax was collected. If they visited you, could you prove you qualify as a farmer? If no )</font>

I don't think I would have a problem qualifing as a farmer if a 'reveneur' came by.. I'de take hime out to the chicken and turkey coop and also let him visit my pigs and the horses.

My dealer asked similar questions, asked if I had horses, and asked if my land was ag zoned.

Soundguy