texas tractor title

/ texas tractor title #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Are tractors titled like other vehicles in Texas? )</font>

No.

/ texas tractor title
Is there sales tax due on used tractor sales. Do you see where I'm going with this /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ texas tractor title #4  
If you buy a used tractor from a dealer, I think he will collect the sales tax unless you qualify for the farm exemption. But if you buy from an individual, no sales tax. Now I'm a long ways from being a tax attorney, so you might want to check this with a more authoritative source, although I'm pretty sure I'm right.

/ texas tractor title #5  
I think Bird's right on that - at least that's my experience. By the way, looking at those pictures, I think sendero and Bird have got to be related!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ texas tractor title #6  
Most states have a use tax that is in the same amount as the sales tax and is due on taxable items purchased without paying sales tax, for example from out of state. Obviously collection of the use tax is difficult but the question was "is there sales tax due". In states with a use tax the obligation to file and pay rests with the purchaser. The State of Texas web site lists the tax as "sales and use tax".

/ texas tractor title #7  
Bob, I believe the following section of the Texas statute confirms my earlier opinion:

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( § 151.304. Occasional Sales

(a) An occasional sale of a taxable item and the storage, use, or consumption of a taxable item the sale or transfer of which to a consumer is made by an occasional sale are exempted from the taxes imposed by this chapter.

(b) In this section, "occasional sale" means:

(1) one or two sales of taxable items, other than an amusement service, at retail during a 12-month period by a person who does not habitually engage, or hold himself out as engaging, in the business of selling taxable items at retail;
)</font>

It would appear (to me at least) from reading further into Chapter 151 that if a person sells more than two a year, sales tax might have to be collected. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ texas tractor title
LOL - no he has a LOT more hair than I do, and I'm only 48 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ texas tractor title #9  
Bird,
I note you are in Texas and I defer to you on the situation in Texas. My experience is in VA and PA, both of which have an income tax and include use tax forms with the income tax forms. Neither differentiate between items purchased out of state vs items in an "occasional sale". The FAQ on the Texas web site makes clear that use tax is generally due on out of state purchases. Texas FAQ

/ texas tractor title #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think sendero and Bird have got to be related )</font>

Well, I didn't think so, but after seeing pictures of his farm, I'd be willing to let him adopt me. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif