Ear Protection

/ Ear Protection #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I always wear ear protection. Tractor, chain saw, pressure washer, log splitter, blower and sometimes even the riding mower. It may be just me, but I find that is cuts down on fatigue as well. )</font>

Excellent advice; let me second it. I find the same thing regarding the fatigue issue.

Personally, I use a relatively inexpensive pair of shooting 'muffs.' They work fine for anything I've done.

I'm approaching 60, and my hearing is in excellent shape (wish I could say the same for everything else /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif), in good part because I wear hearing protection whenever I'm around noisy equipment. Of course, it helps that I never really have liked loud rock bands. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SnowRidge

/ Ear Protection #22  
I think ear protection is important. As a side job ( well started as a side job.. but I'm doing it more hours than I'm in the office now ) I perform engineering services for bands, I.e. I run sound. While we do try to maintain osha safe sound levels for the crowd, and frequently monitor our SPL meters.. the sound crew is usually subjected to quite a bit of abusive sound , like soundcheck, and when ringing out new systems, etc. Most of us try to wear ear plugs and have gotten pretty good at reading lips... don't laugh.. at the sound booth, when I'm talking to another engineer... you can't hear anything inteligable.. and you have to be looking at each other.. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Anyway, on the tractor, I either wear ear plugs or headphone muffs hooked up to the fender radio or both.

Soundguy

/ Ear Protection #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I see that peltor has out a new model M2RX7A which has both am/fm and electronic noise reduction. I suppose it is white noise, but I don't know for sure.)</font>

I'm not familiar with that Peltor model in particular, but am am very familiar with a variety of electronic noise cancelling headsets used in aviation. (The sound in most small aircraft cockpits will nake the sound of most CUT's engines seem like the purring of a kitten.) These headsets do not work by generating white noise. White noise is still just noise. It may mask other noises, but does not reduce them. The principle of ENC headsets is that they sample the sound and play it back 180&#730; out of phase with the incoming sound. This in essence "cancels" the incoming ambient sound (with varying degrees of success, depending on the sound). Those that I have tried do better with the low frequencies (probably because they are optimized for the sound of a piston aircraft engine?) I've found that I can actually hear "problem" sounds better, including variations in engine noise. I believe this is because my hearing is not so overloaded with the louder noises, so it makes it easier to pick out the subtle variations.

the difference between a plain (passive) headset and an electronic noise cancelling headset is night and day. It is almost as great as the difference between no headset and a passive one. I will second the comments others have made about the reduction in fatigue.

John Mc

/ Ear Protection #24  
I wear my Husky Woodsman helmet all the time, whether on the tractor, or mower, weedeater or jack hammer. It's a hard shell hat, with ear muffs built in. It also has a flap of material on the back that hangs over the shoulders. It helps keep debri from falling down your back. It has a face screen too. When I'm working in the trees I really appreciate the front screen, instead of getting slapped outright by branches and twigs.

Hearing protection is well worth it. It is amazing what being exposed to even mild levels of noise for long periods will do.

/ Ear Protection #25  
Petrops,

As the folks have pointed out, generally it's a good idea to wear ear protection - cuts down on hearing loss, fatique, headache, iritation, etc. One of the complaints I'd make about my JD4100 is that it's kinda loud. Fortunately I've gotten into the habit of ALWAYS wearing ear protection when operating it - it's a good habit to have. I leave a set of over-the-ear muffs AND a set of plugs in the cab - I use the muffs for quick jobs, and the plugs for longer-term usage. The plugs are more comfy than the muffs for long-term usage, but the muffs are easier to get off and on - more likely to get used.

The plugs I've found that work pretty well is what are called "shooter's" ear plugs. These are impulse-noise reducing ear plugs, designed to cut out excessively loud noises from gunshots, but still letting you hear normal conversation. As I recall, I got mine from Walmart - I think they are "Sonic" brand - more expensive than the foam ones, but cheaper than the electronic noise cancelling ones - and definitely less than a hearing aid! They seem to work pretty well for 'dampening' tractor noise, but still letting me hear what's going on.

Caretaker

/ Ear Protection #26  
Huh, what did all you guys say? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
murph

/ Ear Protection #27  
I was thinking about buying an engine sound reducing kit from a marine store, and line the inside of the tractor hood- did anybody out there do this?

/ Ear Protection #28  
<font color="blue"> I was thinking about buying an engine sound reducing kit from a marine store, and line the inside of the tractor hood- did anybody out there do this? </font>
Nope. Since I could only line (maybe) the underside of the hood and not the sides, I doubt it would provide much sound reduction. Such a kit wouldn't help at all in reducing the sound of any attachments which can be quite loud as well, e.g., rotary mower, mmm, etc. I'd think the cost of such a kit would be better applied to a set of ear protectors.

/ Ear Protection #29  
I received my Peltor Worktunes last Thursday. I've used them twice while using my BX2200. It made a big difference with noise level while mowing, very comfortable. Don't think you could carry a conversation with them on.

As others have reported, the AM reception is crappy but the FM is good. Coastal Tool has the best price and quick delivery. I ordered mine on Tuesday and they arrived on Thursday.

John

/ Ear Protection #30  
I usually wear my Peltor all-in-one hardhat which I bought from Bailey's for $37.95.
490.jpg

Not only does it protect my ears, but more than once it has saved my noggin from a good thunk. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif