Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Default Re: Gas Capless car

Quote Originally Posted by boggen View Post
    tad un-easy of a non-lockable gas cap. been waves of thieves over years siphoning out gas.
    Most locks are just giving the user piece of mind that something is safe. A few months back we put in a gate to get outside our property on the wooded side so we could clean the fence line on the back side. While we were putting it up, brother in law unknowingly dropped the lock key on the back side of the gate and didn't find it till after he locked the gate. While he was searching around in pockets etc looking for said key, I took some pliers, cut off a piece of electric fence wire, bent the end and opened the lock. He did find his key on the backside of the fence once I opened the lock. Some folks at a job made a lock pick that would open just about any padlock, including file cabinets and desks. It was made from 2 pieces of 1/8" electrical "fish tape) One piece was the lever to turn the lock and the other fit on top of it and you simply moved it back and forth stroking the tumblers till it popped the lock. It worked just like the battery vibratory type that you see the folks use on TV where they stick it in the lock, push the button and the lock pops. Most key locks work the same way with only one tumbler holding the lock closed. I saw a locksmith make a key for my jobsite truck once using a three cornered file and a pair of vise-grips with a blank key. He just gripped the blank with the pliers, put it in the lock, twisted it back and forth then filed out the areas that showed contact. Repeated that a couple times then opened the door and did the same thing for the ignition. Once he got the key filed down to work, he then took his hand key making machine that had a series of numbers that dialed in the cutters, set it clipped each tumbler location and keys were made. Had to do it on both sides for the Ford key but only needed one side cut for it to work. Took him all of 5 minutes to make both door and ignition keys and an extra set for the key box.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp CC AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Most locks can be easily defeated with some thought and expertise... I wrote out a bunch of other "examples" but decided perhaps that was not a good idea.
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

LD1
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

If anyone has ever tried to siphon gas out of a newer vehichle (for legal reasons like replacing a fuel pump) it is a PITA. There are anti-siphon screens in the filler neck that takes a pretty stout hose and some time to get throught. And that stout of a hose usually dont flex enough to make the bends and turns. So now thieves just crawl under the vehichle (usually a truck or suv) and punch a hole in the tank. Thieves are lazy. And it is easier. Personally, I'd rather they siphoned my tank. Its cheaper in the long run.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    A couple

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    Personally, I'd rather they siphoned my tank. Its cheaper in the long run.
    Plus you get the satisfaction of knowing there is a good chance they got a mouthful of gas, and hopefully swallowed it.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234