Greatest Mystery

/ Greatest Mystery #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
Went to get my log splitter out of the barn only to find both tires flat and the bead broken off the rim. I havent used it in several years but they were fine when I put it away. I've had this happen numerous times over the years with generators, riding mowers, finish mowers and tillers. Is there some event that triggers this or is it just one of those unexplained events.

/ Greatest Mystery #2  
Temperature changes (getting cold) can cause pressure loss. Reckon if it happens often enough (over the course of a few years), the weight of the machine would be enough to break the bead.

If you want to store something for an extended period, it's advisable to raise the air pressure to the maximum (at least...even a bit higher).

/ Greatest Mystery #3  
In addition you could put it up on blocks. At least if all the air leaks out the bead wouldn't break loose.

/ Greatest Mystery #4  
Rest assured that I am not attempting to act like a tire expert, but having tubes will help somewhat. Are the tires tubeless? Just trying to help. I had the same problems before and this was recommended to me. It has worked for me. I also utilize the support of blocks.

/ Greatest Mystery #5  
Hand truck and wheelbarrow type wheels are like that in my experience. When they go flat, the beads come loose. Many of the tubeless ones just seem to leak. They can be a pain in the butt. The wheels vary in quality. I keep tubes in the ones I don't want to go down.

/ Greatest Mystery #6  
Our 7720 JD (130 HP size) has one rear that goes flat every winter - it sits idle from November to March. The first time it happened it broke the bead so we had to use the ether trick to reseat it. Now it and our 105 HP New Holland, also with radials, sit on blocks for the winter and get aired up in the spring. Just seems to be a problem if no use and extreme cold (a few days colder than -40 are common every winter).

/ Greatest Mystery #8  
I think tires have tiny pores and the thinner the tire the faster the air loss. I'm usually wrong though:confused: . Anyhow all my small tires and trailers that I find low gets slime in tires and they seem to hold air better.

/ Greatest Mystery #9  
My wheel barrel's tire looks like someone sucked the air out of them. They have not broke the bead... I don't know how or why, a mystery indeed :)

/ Greatest Mystery
Rest assured that I am not attempting to act like a tire expert, but having tubes will help somewhat. Are the tires tubeless? Just trying to help. I had the same problems before and this was recommended to me. It has worked for me. I also utilize the support of blocks.

They have all been tubless tires. I'm thinking about having all of them tubed.