Lawn fertilizer

/ Lawn fertilizer
I bought the same fertilizer at Home Depot Saturday. I was looking at the Scotts but they wanted $8.00 more. I have a new lawn and am just have trouble getting it going. We have been having droughts the last few years. If you have grass that is established than I might fertilize twice a year or go to Southern States and buy some inexpensive fertilizer.

/ Lawn fertilizer
Thank you for all the help. I will investigate further. We do have Agway and I wll check with some local farmers.

Thanks again,
Mainiak1

/ Lawn fertilizer #14  
I actually had a "professional" come and look at it. He says no. (not sure I agree with him) I don't get the spots or leasions like rust normally shows. It is just the deficiency of the soil. Even when the grass is really green I get the rust on the mower. My soil is very red also. I also have went out and purchased the fungus stuff from Scott's for rust and it made no changes. So I guess until things change I will put fertilizer on it 4 times a year. I will see what happens this year.

Rust does get into your grass on under fertilized grass according to the article you posted.

murph

/ Lawn fertilizer
Hey JBECKER- How about a recipe for that mix. At $50 for two acres I could stand to work up a batch of that lawn home brew. Thanks Miked

/ Lawn fertilizer
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hey JBECKER- How about a recipe for that mix. At $50 for two acres I could stand to work up a batch of that lawn home brew. Thanks Miked )</font>

Well, I found my recept...here's what I used:

(3) 10202238 5-5-3 Organic Fertilizer @ $12.99 each
(2) 10200703 Pelletized Limestone @ $2.66 each
(1) 10204453 Corn Gluten Meal @ 29.99 (used about 2/3 of the bag)

That comes to about $75.00...my appologies for the error. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Mixed it all up in a big plastic tub on the tailgate of my Tundra and then easily shoveled it into the spreader mounted on the 3pt with the tractor backed up to the truck.

I also threw in some Milky Spore that we had lying around, although that probably wasn't the best way to apply it...too fine.

/ Lawn fertilizer
So - what about spreaders?? Has anyone used those big cone-shaped 3PH spreaders for spreading common lawn fertilizer? How do you make sure that you have it set for the proper coverage? Any particular brands/models that you like? Should this be a new thread?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Andy

/ Lawn fertilizer #18  
i only fertilize when i need to get a section of grass going. have to much lawn to be worried about the color and it just needs more mowing! although my grass looks ok(from a distance) it ain't actually what you would consider a green carpet /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Lawn fertilizer #19  
I spread mine and my neighbors with one of the cone type spreaders on the 3pt. Both of our yards have open area of grass where I can turn the tractor around in , and the obsitcles are mostly trees that the fertilizer falls under. I split up the coverage in what I want for the front yard and what I want in the back and then just load that much at one time. Try to figure out how many passes it will take and then set the opening accordingly. If memory serves me right I believe that the lime comes out quicker than the Fertilizer. Grass seed takes very little time either. Put some Ammonium nitrate out for my neighbor, that stuff really comes out fast. We do any small unaccessable areas with a hand seeder. We do about 3 acres between the two of us in about a hour and a half, and that includes lime, fertilizer, grass seed and blowing off the driveways and sidewalks.