Lawn fertilizer

/ Lawn fertilizer #1  

Anonymous Poster

I fertilized the lawn yesterday. Went down to Home Depot bought Vigoro lawn fertilizer at $18.00 a bag for 15,000 square feet. For seven bags $126.00. If I read the lawn literature correctly,they want me to fertilize spring summer and fall. HMMM, $126.00 x 3 = $378.00 sounds a little pricey.I also had to lime at $125.00 Am I missing something here? I checked a few of the other
stores prices about the same. Are people paying this much to fertilize their lawns? Are there any ways you can buy this in larger quantities at a cheaper price? I think the Scotts people who want you to go with their four step program at $500.00 + for my size lawn have to be nuts. Would be fine if you lived in the city where lawns are 10'x10'. There must be a cheaper way. Sorry I just had to vent. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Lawn fertilizer #2  
Got to keep up with the neighbors!

What you have is marketing at it's best. First you fertilize or hire one of the lawn chemical companies to do it for you. Then you get to mow more often and use more gasoline and listen to the Briggs roaring so your hearing is shot years down the road unless you're at least smart enough to wear hearing protection which brings up the question, why weren't you smart enough to plant something that didn't need all that time and money for maintenance?

Just a thought. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Lawn fertilizer #3  
Re: Got to keep up with the neighbors!

I couldn't agree more.

The only lawn that needs that much fertilizer is a lawn that is in very poor shape already. I've found a spring application, or some years no application at all, to work just fine.

A long time ago I realized that all using that much fertilizer did was shorten my mowing cycle and make the grass a touch greener. On my Tx St. Augustine lawn, I rarely use fertilizer any more, and my yard is not the 'best' on the block but it sure isn't the 'worst' /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Lawn fertilizer #4  
I can get 10-10-10 at the local Souther States co-op for $5 for 50 #. Of course no weed killer in it and perhaps a little weak in the nitrogen, but it does OK, especially when I don't have to pay for Scott's marketing campaign /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Lawn fertilizer #5  
Go organic, fertilze twice a year at the most and get a mulching mower.

/ Lawn fertilizer #6  
I have to fertilize 4 times per year. Even though I had about 6" of black dirt hauled in I have this stuff called silt loam underneath it. 6 weeks after I fertilize my grass will turn brown, I don't care how much rain we have had or how much I water, it turns brown. When mowing I get this brown dust all over my mower and tractor, it looks like rust. I stick with straight fertilizer, no weed killers or other chemicals in it. I have never used any of the other stuff. I keep my lawn strong and it has pretty much killed out the weeds even the ones that came with the sod. I just bought 250 lbs of 26-3-10 and paid $40.00 for it. I have to do that about 4 times per year.

The sod I purchased to save money was the stuff that the MnDot buys for theirs ditches and rolls out from a 3ph. It was full of weeds. But just keeping a good fertilized lawn has gotten rid of them. Recomendations by the guy that laid the sod.

murph

/ Lawn fertilizer
Thcri,

Where did you find 250lbs of fertilzer for $40.00? Thats the kind of deal I'm looking for. I'd also go for the 10-10-10 at 50lbs for five bucks. As far as I know we don't have any co-op's around here. I live in Maine
Thanks,
mainiak1

/ Lawn fertilizer #8  
I got it from a local Farm Country Coop about 5 miles away from my house. You must have some Farm Supply Houses for farmers to pick up feed and fertilizer stuff.

murph

/ Lawn fertilizer
I use organic from Agway and mix up my own blend of the fertilizer, pelletized lime and corn gluten meal to feed the lawn and help reduce weed germination. I only apply once a year and spend about $50-75 total for our two acres of lawn area.

/ Lawn fertilizer #10  
One should have their soil tested, then buy the right fertilizer. No need in spending good money something that ain't gonna do you a bit of good.

Although your neighbor might appreciate it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif