3pt Jack

/ 3pt Jack #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
Back when I had my 35 Massey I collected all the owners manuals and shop books I could find. In one of the owners manuals there were instructions on how to use your 3pt hitch to jack up the rear of the tractor.
I didn't get it then and don't get it now. Has anyone come across this.
I sure wish a 3 point hitch could exert down force.

/ 3pt Jack #2  
We used a 3-point jack to pick our Fords up so we could swap tires and widen the front end. It hooked under the axles and the lift pulled up on the chains attached to the bottom which rocked the tractor up on the stands front and rear.

That's been a lot of years ago and it got misplaced somewhere along the line.

/ 3pt Jack #3  
A pulley fixed to the floor and one fixed to a beam above, with a cable thru both, the lower end attached to the 3 point and the upper end attached to a solid lifting point on the back of the tractor.

When you lifted the 3 point it would pull up the back of the tractor, I think :confused2:

Anything wrong with the geometry here ? would the motion negate itself ?

Could probably do it with some levers and fulcrums properly placed?

Never heard of a way to lift rear of tractor with 3 point.

Another thought, a long beam under the tractor, lift the back of the beam with the 3 point, it would come up and make contact with the axle housing and then ???? well I'm not sure what would happen, it would be forcing the front edge into the ground, would the back of the tractor go up?

Man now you got me thinking :laughing:

JB

/ 3pt Jack #4  
If the 3pt has down pressure, you could just place blocking under the arms and lower the 3pt. Otherwise you would have to use some type of pully system to lever the rear up.

/ 3pt Jack #5  
Back when I had my 35 Massey I collected all the owners manuals and shop books I could find. In one of the owners manuals there were instructions on how to use your 3pt hitch to jack up the rear of the tractor.

My 300U and my H have downforce on the hitch. The H is a Saginaw hitch. It will lift up the entire rear end of the tractor. I was kinda surprised that other 3 pt hitches don't have down pressure.

/ 3pt Jack #6  

the old Ferguson TO-20 and TO-30 and the early N series fords had a jack that attached to the three point hitch . When the hitch was raised, the rear axle jack pulled the jack underneath the rear axles and a chain pulled the front axle jack under the dront axles and lifted the entire tractor off the ground. It really a simple device and quite clever. I have one for the rear axle and I aim to make the front axle jack also. You can see them at Antique Tractors - Yesterday's Tractors : Antique Tractor Headquarters in the Ferguson or the N seres for Parts and Pieces section.

here's the link: www.tractorshed.com/gallery/pieces/v1892.jpg

/ 3pt Jack #7  
the old Ferguson TO-20 and TO-30 and the early N series fords had a jack that attached to the three point hitch . When the hitch was raised, the rear axle jack pulled the jack underneath the rear axles and a chain pulled the front axle jack under the dront axles and lifted the entire tractor off the ground. It really a simple device and quite clever. I have one for the rear axle and I aim to make the front axle jack also. You can see them at Antique Tractors - Yesterday's Tractors : Antique Tractor Headquarters in the Ferguson or the N seres for Parts and Pieces section.

here's the link: www.tractorshed.com/gallery/pieces/v1892.jpg

Yup that's a simple concept that might be able to be done with just a chain and a solid piece of wood or steel properly positioned, for emergency lifting of the rear.

Probably never really became popular since it is not very practical, if you were at home and had all those components, it would be faster to just use a jack. and a simple screw jack would cost less and be quicker.

JB

/ 3pt Jack #8  
Yup that's a simple concept that might be able to be done with just a chain and a solid piece of wood or steel properly positioned, for emergency lifting of the rear.

Probably never really became popular since it is not very practical, if you were at home and had all those components, it would be faster to just use a jack. and a simple screw jack would cost less and be quicker.

JB

Respectfully, what do you mean it never became popular and it's not very practical?

It was and still is very popular for the TO/TE series Fergusons and the N series Fords! People who have thse older tractors are always looking for them. A guy I know had one custom made by a weld shop.

As for ease of use, it takes about 5 minutes to set up and lifts the entire tractor off the ground. You'd need a NASCAR pit crew to beat that time with with individual jacks.

I don't believe it's a practical design for tractors with a gross weight over ~3500 lbs because the jack weight would start to get very heavy and they would then be difficult to use. But for it's intended purpose, it was and still is a clever and useful design.

/ 3pt Jack #9  
Respectfully, what do you mean it never became popular and it's not very practical?

It was and still is very popular for the TO/TE series Fergusons and the N series Fords! People who have thse older tractors are always looking for them. A guy I know had one custom made by a weld shop.

As for ease of use, it takes about 5 minutes to set up and lifts the entire tractor off the ground. You'd need a NASCAR pit crew to beat that time with with individual jacks.

I don't believe it's a practical design for tractors with a gross weight over ~3500 lbs because the jack weight would start to get very heavy and they would then be difficult to use. But for it's intended purpose, it was and still is a clever and useful design.

I agree it is clever, I didn't realize it was so popular as I never heard of it before, not sure why you would need the whole tractor off the ground, I mostly just need one corner lifted and a jack would be much simpler for that task.

I would like to see that or similar simple concept for lifting the rear of the tractor while out in a field in an emergency situation, say to get the rear out of a mud bog or to take off a wheel.

JB