Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Platinum Member Mark Page's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    559
    Location
    Maryland
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader

    Default 3pt Jack

    Back when I had my 35 Massey I collected all the owners manuals and shop books I could find. In one of the owners manuals there were instructions on how to use your 3pt hitch to jack up the rear of the tractor.
    I didn't get it then and don't get it now. Has anyone come across this.
    I sure wish a 3 point hitch could exert down force.
    Gear Up and Throttle Down.

    2011 Massey 2615, 7ft Woods Rear Discharge Finish Mower, 6 ft Lucknow Snow Blower, Danuser post hole digger with 12" and 24" augers, 350 lb 3 pt broadcast spreader, 7ft scraper blade, 7 ft. drag harrow, JD GT 275 rider with 38" snow blower attachment.


  2. #2
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,220
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

    Default Re: 3pt Jack

    We used a 3-point jack to pick our Fords up so we could swap tires and widen the front end. It hooked under the axles and the lift pulled up on the chains attached to the bottom which rocked the tractor up on the stands front and rear.

    That's been a lot of years ago and it got misplaced somewhere along the line.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

  3. #3
    Super Member JB4310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,645
    Location
    Central CT
    Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

    Default Re: 3pt Jack

    A pulley fixed to the floor and one fixed to a beam above, with a cable thru both, the lower end attached to the 3 point and the upper end attached to a solid lifting point on the back of the tractor.

    When you lifted the 3 point it would pull up the back of the tractor, I think

    Anything wrong with the geometry here ? would the motion negate itself ?

    Could probably do it with some levers and fulcrums properly placed?

    Never heard of a way to lift rear of tractor with 3 point.

    Another thought, a long beam under the tractor, lift the back of the beam with the 3 point, it would come up and make contact with the axle housing and then ???? well I'm not sure what would happen, it would be forcing the front edge into the ground, would the back of the tractor go up?

    Man now you got me thinking

    JB
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

  4. #4
    Veteran Member johnrex62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,004
    Location
    Bastrop County, Texas
    Tractor
    Kubota L3700SUHST

    Default Re: 3pt Jack

    If the 3pt has down pressure, you could just place blocking under the arms and lower the 3pt. Otherwise you would have to use some type of pully system to lever the rear up.
    Kubota L3700SUHST, AG-Meier Mohawk 5' Rotary Cutter, Armstrong AG 5' Boxblade, Armstrong AG 5' Landscape Rake
    Scotts 50560x8 50" Riding Mower

  5. #5
    Elite Member 300UGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,401
    Location
    Howell, Michigan
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400, Farmall H

    Default Re: 3pt Jack

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Page View Post
    Back when I had my 35 Massey I collected all the owners manuals and shop books I could find. In one of the owners manuals there were instructions on how to use your 3pt hitch to jack up the rear of the tractor.
    I didn't get it then and don't get it now. Has anyone come across this.
    I sure wish a 3 point hitch could exert down force.
    My 300U and my H have downforce on the hitch. The H is a Saginaw hitch. It will lift up the entire rear end of the tractor. I was kinda surprised that other 3 pt hitches don't have down pressure.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Jerry/MT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,007
    Location
    Western Montana
    Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

    Default Re: 3pt Jack

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Page View Post
    Back when I had my 35 Massey I collected all the owners manuals and shop books I could find. In one of the owners manuals there were instructions on how to use your 3pt hitch to jack up the rear of the tractor.
    I didn't get it then and don't get it now. Has anyone come across this.
    I sure wish a 3 point hitch could exert down force.
    the old Ferguson TO-20 and TO-30 and the early N series fords had a jack that attached to the three point hitch . When the hitch was raised, the rear axle jack pulled the jack underneath the rear axles and a chain pulled the front axle jack under the dront axles and lifted the entire tractor off the ground. It really a simple device and quite clever. I have one for the rear axle and I aim to make the front axle jack also. You can see them at Antique Tractors - Yesterday's Tractors : Antique Tractor Headquarters in the Ferguson or the N seres for Parts and Pieces section.

    here's the link: www.tractorshed.com/gallery/pieces/v1892.jpg

  7. #7
    Super Member JB4310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,645
    Location
    Central CT
    Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

    Default Re: 3pt Jack

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry/MT View Post
    the old Ferguson TO-20 and TO-30 and the early N series fords had a jack that attached to the three point hitch . When the hitch was raised, the rear axle jack pulled the jack underneath the rear axles and a chain pulled the front axle jack under the dront axles and lifted the entire tractor off the ground. It really a simple device and quite clever. I have one for the rear axle and I aim to make the front axle jack also. You can see them at Antique Tractors - Yesterday's Tractors : Antique Tractor Headquarters in the Ferguson or the N seres for Parts and Pieces section.

    here's the link: www.tractorshed.com/gallery/pieces/v1892.jpg

    Yup that's a simple concept that might be able to be done with just a chain and a solid piece of wood or steel properly positioned, for emergency lifting of the rear.

    Probably never really became popular since it is not very practical, if you were at home and had all those components, it would be faster to just use a jack. and a simple screw jack would cost less and be quicker.

    JB
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Jerry/MT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,007
    Location
    Western Montana
    Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

    Default Re: 3pt Jack

    Quote Originally Posted by JB4310 View Post
    Yup that's a simple concept that might be able to be done with just a chain and a solid piece of wood or steel properly positioned, for emergency lifting of the rear.

    Probably never really became popular since it is not very practical, if you were at home and had all those components, it would be faster to just use a jack. and a simple screw jack would cost less and be quicker.

    JB
    Respectfully, what do you mean it never became popular and it's not very practical?

    It was and still is very popular for the TO/TE series Fergusons and the N series Fords! People who have thse older tractors are always looking for them. A guy I know had one custom made by a weld shop.

    As for ease of use, it takes about 5 minutes to set up and lifts the entire tractor off the ground. You'd need a NASCAR pit crew to beat that time with with individual jacks.

    I don't believe it's a practical design for tractors with a gross weight over ~3500 lbs because the jack weight would start to get very heavy and they would then be difficult to use. But for it's intended purpose, it was and still is a clever and useful design.

  9. #9
    Super Member JB4310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,645
    Location
    Central CT
    Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

    Default Re: 3pt Jack

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry/MT View Post
    Respectfully, what do you mean it never became popular and it's not very practical?

    It was and still is very popular for the TO/TE series Fergusons and the N series Fords! People who have thse older tractors are always looking for them. A guy I know had one custom made by a weld shop.

    As for ease of use, it takes about 5 minutes to set up and lifts the entire tractor off the ground. You'd need a NASCAR pit crew to beat that time with with individual jacks.

    I don't believe it's a practical design for tractors with a gross weight over ~3500 lbs because the jack weight would start to get very heavy and they would then be difficult to use. But for it's intended purpose, it was and still is a clever and useful design.
    I agree it is clever, I didn't realize it was so popular as I never heard of it before, not sure why you would need the whole tractor off the ground, I mostly just need one corner lifted and a jack would be much simpler for that task.

    I would like to see that or similar simple concept for lifting the rear of the tractor while out in a field in an emergency situation, say to get the rear out of a mud bog or to take off a wheel.

    JB
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

  10. #10
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    50
    Tractor
    MF 50

    Default Re: 3pt Jack

    Quote Originally Posted by JB4310 View Post

    I would like to see that or similar simple concept for lifting the rear of the tractor while out in a field in an emergency situation, say to get the rear out of a mud bog or to take off a wheel.

    JB
    How rescue your tractor from sticky mud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Built a custom adjustable trailer jack mount
    By Wintermute in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-24-2012, 05:17 PM
  2. Right size jack and jack stands for a Kubota M7040
    By canoetrpr in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-16-2011, 02:32 PM
  3. Rake How not to add a jack to a rake
    By lhfarm in forum Attachments
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 08:26 AM
  4. Backhoe GC2410 Backhoe removal with jack?
    By bmarian in forum Massey Ferguson Owning/Operating
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 08:39 AM
  5. Non 3pt tiller to 3pt mount conversion
    By tatra805 in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 07:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.