Size PTO pin to stop the shaft from falling off?

/ Size PTO pin to stop the shaft from falling off? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Could someone help me out with what size pin is supposed to go through the pto output shaft and the driveshaft in order to keep the driveshaft from slipping off? This is on a Ford 9n. I believe this is the type that you need to tap in and out in order to use.

Thanks
Ken H.

/ Size PTO pin to stop the shaft from falling off?
Sounds like you are using older stuff without a self-locking pin.

So first my warning - whatever you do, you'll probably end up with something sticking out of the rotating shaft that can catch your clothes & hurt or kill you. And whatever metal you use, it probably won't meet OEM specs for what would be acceptable. So when you hurt yourself, I'm the only one you can sue....

And I'm only telling you what I do, I'm _not_ suggesting you do this or it is in any way safe....

The farm supply stores sell pins for this purpose. You need to fit the hole in the pto. I'd get one of those.

For static loads like running an auger or elevator, I've often used any bolt or nail that fits. Probably not safe tho. For 3pt equipment that moves, I'd want to fill the hole.

--->Paul

/ Size PTO pin to stop the shaft from falling off? #3  
My overrun clutch on my PTO shaft is held in place by a 5/16" X 2" roll pin. It's basically a hollow pin with a slot along its length. It's pretty easy to tap in and out, but it stays put when it's in.

/ Size PTO pin to stop the shaft from falling off? #4  
TSC sells something called a PTO lock pin.
02_68755_flexo.jpg
This may be what you are looking for.
Mark

/ Size PTO pin to stop the shaft from falling off? #5  
Ken: your local dealer(any brand)should stock the repair kit for that,(I believe it is the one with the spirng inside)they are about $14 bucks her in CT,you drive the old assembly out-unless it already took off, then clean the chamber,install the new spring and pin combo and peen the end cap so it doesnt come springing out on you. it is easy to fix-I hope this is what you were asking about ? Lloyd

/ Size PTO pin to stop the shaft from falling off?
This is what I ended up getting. Except the 'wire' part is squared off instead of a half circle.

Thanks everyone

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( TSC sells something called a PTO lock pin.
02_68755_flexo.jpg
This may be what you are looking for.
Mark )</font>

/ Size PTO pin to stop the shaft from falling off? #7  
I am glad you post this reply because I have sheared the pin on my overun coupling and I needed the size ofthe pin.