Tires Filled tires?

/ Filled tires? #1  

dayrunner

Tractor
Kubota L3200
To some of you this will be a no brainer dumb question but since I'm new to tractor ownership I don't know what it means to have filled tires. I have a L3200 with R4 tires and would like to know what this means and what are the benefits and what are they filled with and how to fill tires? Is this something the dealer should do and how do I know if they are filled or not? Again please forgive my ignorance as I am still learning about my tractor and how to properly and safely use it so expect more dumb questions thanks for any info

/ Filled tires? #2  
To some of you this will be a no brainer dumb question but since I'm new to tractor ownership I don't know what it means to have filled tires. I have a L3200 with R4 tires and would like to know what this means and what are the benefits and what are they filled with and how to fill tires? Is this something the dealer should do and how do I know if they are filled or not? Again please forgive my ignorance as I am still learning about my tractor and how to properly and safely use it so expect more dumb questions thanks for any info

Well lets see, Filled tires means filled to 75% with a liquid. AKA loaded tires. Lots of people put lots of different things in them. In the old days it was Calcium Cloride solution (tubes recomended for sure with that) It is cheap, corrosive, plant killer and weighs more than water. Some people use just water if they live in a climate that does not freeze. Methanol mix is popular. Windshield washer fluid, make sure it is the low temp version if you live in a cold climate. Weight is close to water, not particulary corrosive, somewhat toxic, but breaks down quick in the enviorment. I used RV anti-freeze. weight about the same as water, non toxic, to plants and animals, expensive. non corrosive. Then you have Rim Guard. Done by a dealer. weighs more than water, non toxic, to plants and animals. it is a plant product (beets). Not cheap, Dealer installed.
All the liquids can be installed with a simple fill valve at home. I did my own. There are many many thread on here outlining the procedure. Benifits are good cheap way to add weight for stability or loader work. Downsides are some of the mixtures are toxic to either plants or animals or both, Cannot remove it easily. complicates tire repairs. I reccomend it highly. Upsides outweigh the downsides. IMHO.

James K0UA

/ Filled tires? #3  
Filled tires could also refer to foam filled tires. Tires with liquid ballast are most often referred to as loaded.

/ Filled tires?
Thanks for the info hope you don't mind dumb questions from a newbie

/ Filled tires? #5  

Nope, pretty much what the forum is for. Join in, soon you won't be a newbie. Don't forget the search utility, you can read for hours on any topic.

James K0UA

/ Filled tires? #6  

Means filling the rears and sometimes the fronts with water/antifreeze mix or a denser liquid. Idea is to increase the weight of the tractor without having to use a ballast box on the 3 point hitch. Also called hydroinflation.

Popular liquids include straight water or water with antifreeze(~8 lb/gal), calcium chloride/water (a~11 lb/gal), beet juice (aka Rimguard, ~11/lb gal). Calcium chloride is corrosive so the steel rims have to be protected (inner tube, some type of coating on the rim interior wall). Antifreeze and calcium chloride are relatively inexpensive; Rimguard is more expensive.

You can find out how it's done here

Changing a Tractor Tire - Dismounting | Gempler's

/ Filled tires? #7  
Some here have recommended a tube with calcium and that is not needed. It was old school to prevent rusting of the rims. The fact that they are sealed eliminates the supply of oxygen needed to make the rust other then what was used to inflate the tire after the solution was added.

From the farming end we are not loading many tires as we have found that on steady draws that it actually hinders traction and the performance of tractors as it slows the air from being compressed and that by the time the tire can absord an undulation the tractor is beyond the point of the tire needing to flex.

For dedicated loader or digging work weight is a plus. To much weight is a disadvantage and some people enjoy running there tractor weighted to it's max and some overweight for what their needs are. To fill the tires will give a rougher ride then just properly inflated tires will with the addition of bolt on or pin on ballast.

Filled tires also add to the expense of tire repairs!

/ Filled tires? #8  

Ain't no such thing as a dumb question when you're new to tractorin'. Way better to ask questions than make assumptions and find out the hard way.

Just for reference, there are 3 ways to ballast your loader. Filling your tires, wheel weights, and other weight you hang on the rear end.

Filled tires and wheel weights give you the most stability because they are so low to the ground. Ballast on the back end helps to transfer weight off the front axle because the rear axle becomes the fulcrum.

/ Filled tires? #9  
I would load your rear tires if you have a FEL and don't have to worry about soil compaction. Or don't have to mow a wet spot. Or its not going to put you over your trailers rating.
Its easy ballast that you don't have to remember to put on, or is in the way of another 3 point hitch implement. I guess there are wheel weights as well but they are more money.

/ Filled tires? #10  
Filled tires could also refer to foam filled tires. Tires with liquid ballast are most often referred to as loaded.

Love your cord wood hauler. Did you make it or buy it?