Mowing Finish mowing disappointment

/ Finish mowing disappointment #1  

markie61

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 Rural King RK55HC with Loader & Backhoe; 2001 New Holland TC40D with Loader
My tractor came December 31. I bought a used Landpride 72" rear finish mower. I spent a day and about $40 reconditioning and tuning it. FINALLY, the grass in the old hayfield (6-7 acres) is tall enough to mow for the first time. So, I clear my day's schedule so me and my "baby blue" can have some time together. I almost couldn't sleep the night before..... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Anyway, I get on and begin. Wow! What a great cut! And what a smooth ride. Imagine my disappointment when there was absolutely NOTHING left to mow in less than 90 minutes /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!! I was just getting warmed up.

Now I gotta go spread some lime....That probably won't take that long either /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif!

Mark

PS To do the same field with my Craftsman 50" garden tractor would have taken all day and beat the he!! out of me.

PPS I guess the total job time was about 2 hours if you count taking off the wheel weights, loader, and rear implement then putting on the mower and setting the height.

/ Finish mowing disappointment #2  
What gear do you mow in? bcs

/ Finish mowing disappointment
Rabbit I

Oops - just looked at your profile - looks like you dont have the HST. There are 2 geared ranges (I/lower and II/higher). Within each of these ranges is a switchable high/low speed mode (rabbit/turtle). So I mowed in the faster mode of low range.

I figure I was eating grass at a rate of 4-5 acres/hour.

/ Finish mowing disappointment #4  
I am also looking forward to the first time I will be able to mow, I replaced a 46" mower with a 72" MMM. I have 4 acres that used to take 2 week ends, I could never get ahead. Now I want the grass togrow /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Finish mowing disappointment #5  
Markie: that is a good problem to have. They are nice tractors,heck get out and just run it a little if you have the time blocked out already-still making guitars? I play alot and would love to afford a nice ahnd made? Any ideas?

/ Finish mowing disappointment #6  
i just got a 72" finish mower for my 3010, i mow in medium range with the hammer down and grass a flyin. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

if i had known tractors mowed grass so fast, i would have got one years ago. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Finish mowing disappointment #7  
I can't imagine how nice a job a finish mower might do based on our somewhat similar day last Sunday. I'm keeping my new TC18 at my daughter & son-in-law's place, next to my 5 acres, until I get some buildings in. They have about 2 acres in nice, level, cleared grass. They also have a Craftsman 22 HP garden tractor with 50" cut. They typically spend all day mowing their grass.

So, on Sunday, we put the brush hog on the back of the tractor for the first time, and I let Doug make the first cuts. He charged off on his front lawn, then the sides, then the back, and not much more than an hour later, he was looking around for more.

Here's the part the amazed us - the brush hog did every bit as good a job as the garden tractor! Now, I grant you, the brush hog was new, with nice sharp blades, and we managed to get it adjusted almost perfect on the first try (luck /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ), and the Craftsman hasn't had a tuneup in a while. But, still - I didn't think brush hogs were supposed to cut that nice.

They aren't going out for any awards for Lushest Lawn of the Year. I don't think it has ever been fertilized. But, if all anyone wants to do is keep a nice, trim look on an average lawn, it appears a brush hog would be good enough, at a lot lower cost than a finish mower. The story might be different once we get the hog all nicked up doing heavier stuff...

He started in Turtle I until he got the hang of it, and gradually moved up until he was above Turtle II (I never thought of that way - cute).

/ Finish mowing disappointment #8  
know u are excited and impressed with the trator and RFM but 4 acres ?hr? not unless your area to cut is putting green smothe and no trees to get in your way and u are going like the dickens. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Goin' like the dickens
No trees in the way
Not putting-green smooth, but fairway-rough smooth. Like at Hilton Head. Or Jekyll Island. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Mark

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( still making guitars?)</font>
Nope. Playing on my tractor too much. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I've been out of the business for a several years, so I can't recommend an electric, but if you want a good acoustic: you cannot go wrong with Taylor.
Mark