PTO Brake issues

/ PTO Brake issues #1  

Francis

Tractor
JD 4300
Hello all,

First time posting, but have gained a wealth of information reading all of your expert advice.

Have a 1 year old JD 4300 HST and love it. The only issue that I have, is that the PTO comes to just about a dead stop when I disengage it. I have gone through enough shear pins on my rough cut, to make it more than just an inconvenience. I went so far as to pick up a PTO overrun from TSC, but the instalation requires a roll pin to be inserted through a hole in the PTO shaft. (apperently, I don't have the hole in my PTo shaft, or my problems would be solved here..) Hence, the overrun was returned, and I still have the same problem. To top it off, I just picked up a 5" Bearcat PTO chipper, and am worried what the 125 lbs chipper flywheel will do to my PTO brake when I disengage the PTO.

Do any of you have the same problem, or know of any solution? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ PTO Brake issues #2  
Seems a year ago there was some discussion on this problem, and it puzzled me, because I don't have any problem with PTO operated attachments on my 4300 shutting down quickly. There is however some braking effect on the PTO, just not abrupt. My opinion would be that there must be a brake adjustment of some kind. I suspect you have already talked to your dealer? What did he say? I would be annoyed at having to replace so many shear pins too, if I had that problem.

/ PTO Brake issues #3  
Welcome aboard: don't know to much about the JD4300, but that don't seem right. are u sure it is not a problem with implement?is there any way u can try anothe implement and see if it still happens? what did the dealer say?

/ PTO Brake issues #4  
I have a 4400 and if I am not mistaken the PTO lever has 3 positions. Forward is on, middle is off no brake, back is off with brake.

/ PTO Brake issues #5  
I remember reading somewhere before I got my tractor that the best way/easiest on the tractor to engage or disengage the PTO when there is a brake is to do it at idle speed. It prevents the sudden "shock" to the system apparently.

Also, I have noticed on my PTO lever ( I have a NH) that if I disengage it SLOWLY, there seems to be a point where the power is cut but the brake isn't engaged. That way, my blades "coast down" some before the brake kicks it.

I find it odd that the PTO shaft doesn't have a hole in it. I thought all tractors had this, but I havent seen all tractors.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Could there be one but it is filled with grease/dirt? Or it was SUPPOSED to have a hole, but the drill-press operator was asleep at his post (therefore, "manufacturing defect" and warranty issue?)

Good luck!

Mark

/ PTO Brake issues #6  
All good replies so far.

Some hydraulic pto systems are very abrupt with their braking system. No getting around it. I'm not at all familiar with JD.

They do make the over running couplers with the normal side-lock spring - like any other pto shaft connects. You might want to search around on several of your favorite farm supply sources to find one of those. They don't use the roll pin, but the thumb spring-loaded side-lock. Probably a couple extra bucks.

--->Paul

/ PTO Brake issues #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also, I have noticed on my PTO lever ( I have a NH) that if I disengage it SLOWLY, there seems to be a point where the power is cut but the brake isn't engaged. That way, my blades "coast down" some before the brake kicks it.
)</font>

There's a point for fuel in the hydro vs. gear trannies .... My gear tranny with a two stage clutch gives me lots of option sfor pto control. I can either throttle down the engine and slow down the pto via compression breaking.. or I can cut it loose all together by going all the way down with the clutch and let it wind down on its own. That second stage clutch also lessens the shock on the system as the pto engages.. you can slip it just like a regular clutch for engaging hi-load implimints.

Soundguy

/ PTO Brake issues #8  
My Kubota hydros worked about the same way. You engage/disengage with the clutch, whether the range selection lever was in gear or not, but there was no brake on the PTO. I always engaged the PTO gently with the clutch with the engine running at low rpm, then usually idled the engine before disengaging the PTO.

/ PTO Brake issues #9  
Soundguy,
Yes the 2 stage clutch type of PTO's are the best in my opinion. A lot less to go wrong with them = longer life and reliability.

/ PTO Brake issues #10  
BIRD: that is exactly how i do it with my 2400, engage with the clutch in@ low rpm , then bring it up to pto seed and lower rpm and disengage with clutch depressed.