3-Point Hitch lynch pin help

/ lynch pin help #11  
I got mine at TSC also. They are not in their online catalog so maybe it is a store-by-store thing. The black ones are used on all CAT 2 implements.

Also, the bales only go one way for a secure hold. The flat side of the pin has to go against the implement or the bail is very weak. You may already know this.

/ lynch pin help #12  
Get the high powered black ones. But look out for them. They will bite you both opening and closing them.
You sir are correct, the Black ones are a b-tch to open and close but they do not come un-done.
DevilDog

/ lynch pin help #14  
i found that if you spray wd-40 or any other lubricant in these things no matter what brand you buy, they work very very well. I have even bought bulk packs where some of them arent working at all and a little wd40, they will work flawlessly with lots of bite. i suggest you try this.

/ lynch pin help #15  
I've found some of the lynch pins have the tension of the spring backwards. I take the springs off and rebend them. Easy to do with a vise holding one end of the spring. Just need to pull the free end in the opposite direction till it works backward to the original direction. Then the pins will close like a rat trap.

/ lynch pin help #16  
Yes...like a rat trap!

I got some of those, too. You have to handle them like you would handle a rat trap - Very Carefully!:laughing:

While I don't have as much experience with them as others here, I would trust them more to stay put.

/ lynch pin help #17  
There is also a bobby pin sort of looking type, or what you would put in the hole of a hitch pin. But big. Takes a hammer to put in & out.

There used to be special plow pins, curved washer sorta like the one guy makes in his picture, with a pin in it & a cotter key in the pin. the curve of the washer protects the cotter key. Likely these are hard to find any more.

I've also used giant cotter key. When you need to plow, and lost everything else, you rummage through the shop and - hey, I didn't even know I had cotter keys that fat!

Just some other options.

--->Paul

/ lynch pin help
If in brush I would use the black heavy duty lynch pins and then a zip tie. You can get about 200 of them for a couple dollars. That would last a lot of years and they are easy. That would help from twigs or branches from getting behind the ring and popping them open.

So you think that they are not breaking but coming unlocked?

/ lynch pin help #19  
TSC has the cheap pins for a quarter a piece, I bought 5 bucks worth and will add chains to a set and throw the rest in the box on the tractor. Good idea?

/ lynch pin help
Thanks for the replies! I think I will see if I can get the black jobbers and use pull ties as insurance.:thumbsup: