Mowing Commercial Mowing Rates

/ Commercial Mowing Rates #1  

Mowman

This may not be the proper forum for this question but I will ask any way /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

I am looking at starting a mowing service that involves speciliazed mowing equipment. The mowing will be concentrated in a very narrow market segment that to my knowledge, no one is servicing in my area. The equipment, excluding tractor, it rather expensive ($25,000 - 28,000) to get started. 95% of the customers would be commercial property owners. The state (Texas) has started to crack down on their previous method of over-growth control. The tracts to be mowed are not very large (> 10 acres). This business would require me to carry General Contractor Liability Insurance, 1 million coverage, 10 million aggregate, not cheap !!!!! I will be the only employee.

My question involves what kind of price (per acre) are folks getting for normal acerage mowing (brush hogg style). I have found a couple other threads where guys were charging anywhere from $30.00 to $65.00 per acre for mowing. I am not looking to break the bank, but would like to be able to charge an honest price for services rendered. Understanding that a conventional tractor (CUT, or Normal size) CANNOT do this mowing outfitted with traditional tires. What type of price sounds "fair" considering the state is looking over their shoulder's. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Commercial Mowing Rates #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The tracts to be mowed are not very large (> 10 acres). )</font>

What are you mowing? Brush and trees from umpteen years of "no mowing"? One years worth of grass and brush growth? Mesquite? How many times a year will you have to mow "the more than 10 acre" size patch? How many acres (or patches) will you plan to mow in a year?

Why do you exclude the tractor needed for this mowing from your costs estimate?

Seems you need to figure how much time you will invest, and how much money you will need a return on, and then figure the bottom line out. No mind to what others might charge. You need to charge enough to make a fair profit (if it aint fair, someone else will be undercutting you real fast!) on your time and materials, and go for it. Anything less than a fair profit will make you go broke, unless this is just for fun and tractor time. Lots of luck. Sounds to me like you are going to need it.

/ Commercial Mowing Rates #4  
<font color="blue"> The tracts to be mowed are not very large (> 10 acres). </font>
I assume you mean <(less than) 10 acres?

/ Commercial Mowing Rates #5  
What do you think a fair price would be?

How much do you want to make?

How much experience do you have?

What do you do now for a living?

/ Commercial Mowing Rates #6  
In Somervell County, the going rate is $60.00/hour with a four hour minimum charge because of the large equipment involved (large utility tractor with fifteen foot mower). Generally the guys mowing only want to mow ten acres or more. They feel that mowing less than ten acres is not really worth the time and effort involved.

I think you could find a real niche in mowing parcels that are less than ten acres. Would depend on your equipment investment and what your time is worth and profit expected. Would think forty to fifty dollars per hour would be a reasonable rate. You might even want to come up with a dollar figure per acre.

/ Commercial Mowing Rates
Thanks for the fast response guys!!!!

First Poster: I will check out that website, thanks /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Beenthere: Mowing will be in almost swamp like conditions, EXTREME mud (very soft). Most areas have been maintained in the past with herbacides (sp) and simply died and accumulated. Material is willow trees (small) and 6-11' (feet) Cattails and associated overgrowth. Will probably mow each parcel monthly. I excluded the tractor cost because I can get one (used) at a reduced rate from a family member. He will not require payment if things don't work out, but I fix anything that breaks.

MikePa: Thanks for the correction /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

John M: I work shift work and am looking for something to make an extra buck on my days off. Kids (3) are getting older and wanting to do more THINGS and the extra cash would be nice. I have worked out on paper a sort of sliding scale as far as price goes, here it is:
1st time to mow, with no Large tree (more than 6" base) removal will be $400.00 an acre. If owner agreed to contract remained of year at monthly rate, would drop to $175.00 an acre.
If owner wants to go on an as needed basis, 1st time still same as above, any call backs $275.00 an acre.
I have operated tractors off and on all my life, an uncle is a Dairyman (now retired), and I worked in the ricefields of southeast Texas for a time.

Froggy: Where is Somervell County???

/ Commercial Mowing Rates #8  
Somervell County is where Glen Rose is located. Next county south of Hood (Granbury) County.

/ Commercial Mowing Rates #9  
<font color="blue">"...What type of price sounds "fair"..." </font>

Bush hoggers in my area of upstate New York charge $40-55 per hour. Don't know of anyone charging by the acre.

...Bob

/ Commercial Mowing Rates #10  
thanks rancar, you answered a question I didn't even post yet! Another tidbit to convince my wife the $950 brush mower was a good idea! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif