Skidding logs

/ Skidding logs #1  

Tollster

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, BX23
Any ideas on using my BX for skidding logs? Chains or cables, any kind of chokers? Do's and don't would be very helpful as I don't have much time in the woods on it. I do have a full belly pan for protection of the fan.
Thanks

/ Skidding logs #2  
Use a choker attached to a skidding plate (or somthing similar) on the 3-point to lift the nose of the log off the ground, and another short chain from the bottom of the choker to the rear drawbar for the actual pulling. You don't want to pull directly from the 3-point, as the pull point would be high and you could easily do a wheelie and flip if the log got hung on something. Go slow and steady, and be ready to stomp the clutch and ease on the brake if something gets hung up.

/ Skidding logs
Use a choker attached to a skidding plate (or somthing similar) on the 3-point to lift the nose of the log off the ground, and another short chain from the bottom of the choker to the rear drawbar for the actual pulling. You don't want to pull directly from the 3-point, as the pull point would be high and you could easily do a wheelie and flip if the log got hung on something. Go slow and steady, and be ready to stomp the clutch and ease on the brake if something gets hung up.

s219, do you think I could hook my drawbar on the 3 point to elevate the log, then use a short chain,and hook the chain to the boot of the choker cable,and the other end to the bootom of the tractor frame eylet with a clevis.

My only drawbar attaches to the 3 point,and as I understand you,I do not want to pull with that as I could roll over or wheelie. So if I understand correctly,the choker cable should omly be use to elevate the log end, therefore I should always try to keep that cable perpendicular to the ground,and the pulling tension on the chain?

I recon it would be best to always hook the chain to the log first, then elevate it with the choker or visa versa?

/ Skidding logs #4  
Getcha a pair of logging tongs. Hook em to 3ph drawbar. Be very careful, go slow and you want have any problems. This technique allows you to completely lift the butt off the ground and lets you hook up and unhook without getting off tractor.

/ Skidding logs #5  
I have done plenty of skidding with a chain and/or skidding tongs attached to my 3pt hitch. It is not the approved method in the owner's manual because of the risk of a wheelie. Yet,with a small tractor ,such as,a bx,hydro right?,some weight in your FEL bucket,I suspect your tires will spin or the motor will stall before your front end gets light. Don't rush anything,operate in lowest range,you will be fine using your 3pt.

/ Skidding logs #6  
I have skidded a log or two with a Kubota B7100 HST using the three point for lifting and pulling. Always kept the loader bucket full of rocks.:thumbsup:

/ Skidding logs #7  
My only drawbar attaches to the 3 point,and as I understand you,I do not want to pull with that as I could roll over or wheelie. So if I understand correctly,the choker cable should omly be use to elevate the log end, therefore I should always try to keep that cable perpendicular to the ground,and the pulling tension on the chain?

I recon it would be best to always hook the chain to the log first, then elevate it with the choker or visa versa?

You have it about right, and I don't think the order matters much. If you just lifted with the three-point and then drove off, the choker (I use a chain choker, by the way) would swing out away from the tractor before it starts pulling the log (or another way to look at it is that the tractor would drive away from the log before it starts pulling). The secondary chain to the pulling point stops that motion, and transfers the majority of the pulling force.

You can experiment with chains and chain hookup arrangements to get a setup that works well for you. Normally, I lift the log with the choker on the 3-point and then tension the pulling chain to hold the butt of the log against my 3-point skidding plate.

The more vertical you can keep the choker, the less pulling it can do, and that will be the safest arrangement.

/ Skidding logs #8  
The more vertical you can keep the choker, the less pulling it can do, and that will be the safest arrangement./QUOTE]

Puts more weight on the rear tires giving lots more traction.:thumbsup:

/ Skidding logs #9  
Plan your route very carefully.
>You'll need more room for turns.
>Avoid crossing abrupt dips and rises - they can hang up the butt of the log and that's bad.
>Watch out for stumps, roots, rocks, ledge, etc.
>Avoid steep downhills with the load until you know the capabilities of your braking system with that much added weight.
>Avoid steep uphills until you know the capabilities of your tractor's traction under that day's conditions.
>It's hard to back down a hill you can't climb over with a log hitched to the back.

/ Skidding logs #10  
I have a 1980 B7100 with 2900 hrs. on the clock. In January (coldest snap we had all winter!) I cut & skidded out 5 cord of Maple logs for firewood, on a lot a guy wanted cleared. Cold enough that the boggy ares were frozen & about 8" of snow to help skidding. I welded up the trailer hitch/skidding attachment that bolts to my 3 point draw bar & used a 12', 5/16" galv. chain with a slip hook on the log end as a choker. The chain went through the loop on the hitch & fastened to a grab hook where the top link attaches (might work even better if the hitch with the loop was shorter so the chain was more vertical going to the grab hook at the top). Lift the log with the 3 point hydraulics & take off in 1st gear, 4wd. Biggest log was 16" & 12' long. Tractor was amazing - small enough to go anywhere without cutting roads & lifted/hauled everything I cut. Never once attempted to lift the front end even when log got hung up. I have (2) suitcase weights hung from the front bumper. It even started easily in -18C since i replaced the seized decompression cable. I had to climb a small hill approaching my dump area, so I would give it lots of throttle approaching the hill & stand on the diff. lock. Hardly any wheel spin but by the time I neared the top I would use the brakes to steer as the logs would roll a bit & try to pull me sideways. Had a ball.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    572.4 KB · Views: 1,433
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    680.5 KB · Views: 1,481
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    889 KB · Views: 1,633
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG