Chains

/ Chains #1  

Tollster

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, BX23
How can I tell a good grade chain? Is there a tag or certification? What should I look for? I am gonna use it for skidding logs on the back of a 23 horse bota, so I am wondering about what size and grade, as well as a place to get the real mcCoy. Not so sure about TSC as I think they are china, I figure if my life could depend on it, I perfer a little tighter quality control measures.

/ Chains #2  
Any decent 5/16" chain is good for skidding (and many short chokers use 1/4" chain). 3/8" and up would probably be overkill.

Most transportation chains are grade 43 or grade 70 (I prefer 70 because of the plating). It probably won't matter much for skidding.

Chain prices are all over the place. Expect to find 5/16" grade 70 chains in 25' length with hooks ranging from $25 to $40 to $60 depending on where you buy.

If you can't find a choker hook, a regular slip hook will work OK.

/ Chains #3  
Grade 70 chains are usually plated and kind of a gold ish color. Every few links will usually be stamped with a "70" or "g70"and once or twice iv seen just a "7" stamped in. I think I saw them at harbor freight for something like $32.99. I but mine at the army surplus for around thirty. I buy the g70 chains, because I use them a lot, and have broken g43 chains pulling out a stuck truck. I have actually yet to break a 5/16" g70 chain. I also use them for some lifting, so I don't want them to brake. I hope this helps!

/ Chains
That sounds like a good size I can handle with ease as well,I figgure anything bigger is prolly more than my BX will ever belch out.

S219,I was able to get a 3 point attachment tonight for skidding. I think it will allow me to get right over the logs then lift,while providing room to anchor to the tractor chassis for pulling. I recon I will have to watch the stump butts though.
I thought the price was good 99.00, but have to see the build quality and welds before I give the final verdict.

2a56_1.GIF

NEW 3 POINT QUICK HITCH CATEGORY 1 FARM TRACTOR | eBay

Think chains or tongs on this rig?

/ Chains #5  
I always felt like there was more flexibility with chains, but I think either would work.

/ Chains #6  
Most transportation chains are grade 43 or grade 70 (I prefer 70 because of the plating). It probably won't matter much for skidding.
22.gif

2.tod.gif

/ Chains #7  
China made 43 fell apart as I tightened it up, wasn't even pulling yet....

China made 70 has worked pretty good for me.

If Menards is by you, mine has a real nice selection tucked back by automotive, god prices.

--->Paul

/ Chains #8  
All chains used for transport have to be grade 70 that is DOT specs. They changed that back 04 I think. If you are skiding logs I would use a cable choker.