Tractor
    Kubota, BX23

Default Chains

How can I tell a good grade chain? Is there a tag or certification? What should I look for? I am gonna use it for skidding logs on the back of a 23 horse bota, so I am wondering about what size and grade, as well as a place to get the real mcCoy. Not so sure about TSC as I think they are china, I figure if my life could depend on it, I perfer a little tighter quality control measures.
    Kubota BX-23, BH, FEL, MMM, Various Bro-tek attachments, Exmark Lazermark.
    ASME Certified welding inspector specializing in Visual, Mag Particle, Dye Penetrant, and Ultrasonics

Tractor
    Kubota L3200

Default Re: Chains

Any decent 5/16" chain is good for skidding (and many short chokers use 1/4" chain). 3/8" and up would probably be overkill.

Most transportation chains are grade 43 or grade 70 (I prefer 70 because of the plating). It probably won't matter much for skidding.

Chain prices are all over the place. Expect to find 5/16" grade 70 chains in 25' length with hooks ranging from $25 to $40 to $60 depending on where you buy.

If you can't find a choker hook, a regular slip hook will work OK.

Platinum Member

Grade 70 chains are usually plated and kind of a gold ish color. Every few links will usually be stamped with a "70" or "g70"and once or twice iv seen just a "7" stamped in. I think I saw them at harbor freight for something like $32.99. I but mine at the army surplus for around thirty. I buy the g70 chains, because I use them a lot, and have broken g43 chains pulling out a stuck truck. I have actually yet to break a 5/16" g70 chain. I also use them for some lifting, so I don't want them to brake. I hope this helps!

Tractor
    Kubota, BX23

That sounds like a good size I can handle with ease as well,I figgure anything bigger is prolly more than my BX will ever belch out.

S219,I was able to get a 3 point attachment tonight for skidding. I think it will allow me to get right over the logs then lift,while providing room to anchor to the tractor chassis for pulling. I recon I will have to watch the stump butts though.
    I thought the price was good 99.00, but have to see the build quality and welds before I give the final verdict.

NEW 3 POINT quick hitch CATEGORY 1 FARM TRACTOR | eBay

Think chains or tongs on this rig?
    Kubota BX-23, BH, FEL, MMM, Various Bro-tek attachments, Exmark Lazermark.
    ASME Certified welding inspector specializing in Visual, Mag Particle, Dye Penetrant, and Ultrasonics

Tractor
    Kubota L3200

I always felt like there was more flexibility with chains, but I think either would work.

Banned
    Tractor
    P82

Most transportation chains are grade 43 or grade 70 (I prefer 70 because of the plating). It probably won't matter much for skidding.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 960, 7700, TW20, 1720; IHC H, 300; Ollie S77

China made 43 fell apart as I tightened it up, wasn't even pulling yet....

China made 70 has worked pretty good for me.

If Menards is by you, mine has a real nice selection tucked back by automotive, god prices.

--->Paul

Tractor
    Case xj70

All chains used for transport have to be grade 70 that is DOT specs. They changed that back 04 I think. If you are skiding logs I would use a cable choker.