Worn pto u-joint???

/ Worn pto u-joint??? #1  

yelbike

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465
So i bought a used Buhler snow blower which looked good except for being stored outside. The guy said it was used for 4 years out of its 10 year life. I got it home and greased everything up and oiled the chain. And it sat idle until recently when we finally got snow.

I have a binding noise coming from what I believe is the impeller housing. I parked the tractor, set the brake with the engine and pto still running and got off to check the location of the noise and it seems to be coming from the pto area(tractor end).

How do you check u joints? There's no noticeable play in the joints.

Last edited:
   / Worn pto u-joint??? #2  
I would disconect the pto shaft at the tractor and run the tractor! If you don't have the noise then it's not the tractor! Good thing! :) then on the U joint before reconecting it see if there is any sloop in it. If it has a zert then grease it taken note of the flushed grease comming out to see if there is any metal flakes in it. if not then reconect it and see if the grease helped the noise go away! Then do the same with the u joint next to the implement! :thumbsup:

edit: Are you sure the pto shaft is not too long and binding up on you!

/ Worn pto u-joint??? #3  
Can u move the u joints where the cross bearing is located?

/ Worn pto u-joint???
No slop in the joints. And no to the shaft being to long. I just had that on my 2305 six months ago. Catastrophic failure, 10k repair bill. Won't do that again.