Massey 135

/ Massey 135 #1  

tessiers

Platinum Member
Tractor
05' JD 790 - 53' Ford NAA - 70' Massey Fergusen 135 diesel - 67' John Deere 3020 deisel - 77' John Deere 2130 - 1950 John Deere MC
I just bought a Massey 135 with the perkins diesel, just a nice little farm tractor. I intend to replace my ford NAA with it, live PTO, power steering, more HP less Fuel ect. We do small time hay, 1000 squares and 50 rounds per year, all with a Farmall H and Ford NAA, except I hire a custom baler and wrapper for the rounds. My next improvement I hope will be a small haybine. Will the Massey handle a small 4x4 dry round baler. I have plenty of room to store them inside and I would love to make rounds. I hate having to mow and rake enough for the custom baler all at once, I would much prefer to do a few acres at a time.

My other question is, would it handle a small loader for moving round bales. 1200 lbs or so, under 800 if I do dry, we only feed out under 50 per year and I really only need it to load in field if possible. We use a skid steer on the farm but it would save me hauling another piece of equipment around to the fields.

Thanks!!!

/ Massey 135 #2  
I just bought a Massey 135 with the perkins diesel, just a nice little farm tractor. I intend to replace my ford NAA with it, live PTO, power steering, more HP less Fuel ect. We do small time hay, 1000 squares and 50 rounds per year, all with a Farmall H and Ford NAA, except I hire a custom baler and wrapper for the rounds. My next improvement I hope will be a small haybine. Will the Massey handle a small 4x4 dry round baler. I have plenty of room to store them inside and I would love to make rounds. I hate having to mow and rake enough for the custom baler all at once, I would much prefer to do a few acres at a time.

My other question is, would it handle a small loader for moving round bales. 1200 lbs or so, under 800 if I do dry, we only feed out under 50 per year and I really only need it to load in field if possible. We use a skid steer on the farm but it would save me hauling another piece of equipment around to the fields.

Thanks!!!

i dont think it will pull a 4x4 baler it might but i know it will pull alittle case or heston 3x4 round baler

/ Massey 135 #3  
They are great tractors (I own one too) but you will find them a bit light for the baler in both weight and HP. The front end isn't really heavy enough for a loader and the hydraulics will be slower than you will want

/ Massey 135 #4  

Thanks!!!

I've got a 150 (diesel, 8-speed) that has the same power but with a little more weight. I've used a round baler behind it, just to see if it could be done. Yeah, you can do it, but I wouldn't suggest it on a long term basis. I used a new Vermeer Rebel 5410. With a full bale chamber, it would give the (heavier) 150 a good shove on downhills. Power wise, the Perkins did "OK" until baling UP that same hill. IMHO, you want (at least) 60hp (pto) before hooking on to ANY round baler......even the ones that rate minimum hp required down as low as 40/45hp.

Any of the popular utility tractors of that era were marginal (at best) for heavy loader work. Front axle and axle pivot are a bit "light" for sustained loader use. 135's are also relatively short tractors.....If you do use a front loader to handle round bales, you'll need a LOT of weight hanging on the rear of the tractor. Not sayin' you CAN'T use a 135 for a loader tractor......Just sayin' there are BETTER loader tractors.

I'm with ya on the skid steers. Instead of looking @ ways to avoid using the skid steer, I'd look @ finding a way to make transporting said skid steer an easier task. (ie...dedicated easy load low trailer)

/ Massey 135 #5  
The 135 will be a bit lite for baling round bales. It is a great tractor tho.

/ Massey 135 #6  

Thanks!!!

Enjoy your 135. Mine is a 1964 MF135 diesel deluxe with multipower.
It's not really a good loader tractor--take a look at the front axles--they're not strong enough for the type of use/abuse a tractor gets when doing FEL work. And the so-called power steering on the 135 is really "power assisted steering" not true power steering and that doesn't help a lot when using an FEL.

If you'd like to try a loader on your 135 anyway, the Koyker model 220 is one choice

Koyker Manufacturing - Loaders

Good luck

/ Massey 135 #7  
I've got a 165, about 45 hp, and I wouldn't recommend it for a round baler. I tried it also just for grins, but it was having a hard time. I used an old john Deere baler. I don't remember what the bale size was, but I'm thinking they were 4x4. On the 165, I've got a farmhand 255 loader (if I remember), and have carried around 4x4 square bales that were about 1800 lbs. I did that with about 40 bales a year for a few years, before I broke the hollow pivot pin on the front axle. Another word of advice, don't over grease the front hubs. The pressure from a grease gun will brake them, and they're not cheap.

/ Massey 135
Thanks for the replies, I do not have a round baler and likely will not get one in the imediate future but I would like one. No round baler means no bales to load, so no loader.

I bought the tractor because it is a good fit for what I am doing now, just inquireing about future plans. The guy is delivering it tomorrow, 50 miles 1 way and he charged me $75, I am not even sure if that will cover his gas. Not worth me hauling my trailer that far for that kind of money.

Thanks again!

/ Massey 135 #9  

Thanks!!!
The MF135 is a great tractor but not for big round balers or handling 1250 lb round bales.
I started handling big rounds to 1400 pounds with my Ford 4610 and a EZeeOn 2070 loader and spear. It scared me into a NH TD95D with a 820TL loader and spear. It was a stability issue on our rolling pastures and the small front axle on the 4610. I still handle the the bales to unload the trailer with the Ford but that's near the stack yard where it's not so steep.

if you wnat to bale with a MF135, better stick to small squares or maybe look for a small round baler. You'll need closer to 70 pto HP to make big rounds without working the snot out of the tractor.