Better to idle the tractor or turn it off?

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off? #22  
All the new John Deere and, I believe, Kubota manuals have warnings about extended idling for diesels because of carbon build-up.

Personally I go with the 3 or 4 minute rule... Longer than that I shut it off. I might also look for ways to shorten wait, like pulling off mulch in large quantities and going back later to actually spread it.

Not just the new manuals...my 1991 Deere 670 manual also discouraged extended idling due to cold stacking (sooting up the combuston chamber).

Once warmed up, I don't let it idle more then 5 minutes (maybe a bit longer in colder ambient temperatures) and I never idle at less then 1500 RPM.

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off? #23  
Yep, "wet stacking" has been mentioned on here and there seems to be no clear consensus. I like to turn mine off when I dismount, but will let it run, though not at idle, while I kick back and eat my lunch.

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off?
TripleR, what kind of tractor is in your picture? Is that yours?

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off? #26  
let it run, less wear on starter.

i agree.. 10m idle is a sip of fuel. and she won't cool down enough to slobber between work sessions. way better than 10-15 start cycles... them starters are small.. they can only fit so many start cycles into them before you have to send them in to be refilled!

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off? #27  
I thought you would need to let the turbo cool before just shutting it off.Well thats what I thought I learned in here.I usually leave it running for 3/4min.before shutting it down but if its just something im gonna be off 10min. I just leave it running.

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off? #28  
what turbo? you guys with them turbo diesels must be spoinled. most of mine are NA.. :)

soundguy

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off? #29  
Back to the original question: Diesels aren't what they used to be, in fact not for a long time. Back in the day my great uncle Vernie had to start his diesel tractor on gas and then change the compression and switch to diesel, Uncle Keith (n'er do well) never remembered to do the obverse. Next day all the diesel had to be cranked out by hand to restart. (Maybe he did that on purpose so Vernie would stop imposing on his time.)Thus once started in the day and switched to diesel an engine was not shut down, rather idled, since it needed to be switched back to gas to turn off. That behavioral entered the national psyche in the 1930s, and is irrationally continued. Shut 'er down. Diesels ain't what they used to be.
Mf

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off? #30  
Just learn to spread it EVENLY from the bucket.

Not that hard, come back later with a landscape rake if you want/need it "perfect" (whatever THAT means for spreading mulch).