Mowing L3800 & 12' batwing question.

/ L3800 & 12' batwing question. #1  

littlechief0

Tractor
Kubota L3800
I have just bought a Kubota L3800. I am considering buying the Woods 12' Batwing finish mower. The specs on the mower say it requires at least a 30HP tractor. I am going to be cutting a closed down golf course with it. They want it cut once a month. Do you guys think I will have difficulty cutting the grass with this set up? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

/ L3800 & 12' batwing question. #2  
I have just bought a Kubota L3800. I am considering buying the Woods 12' Batwing finish mower. The specs on the mower say it requires at least a 30HP tractor. I am going to be cutting a closed down golf course with it. They want it cut once a month. Do you guys think I will have difficulty cutting the grass with this set up? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

I wonna see pistures:thumbsup: How tall do you think the grass is going to get in a month? I have no clue about finish mowers but I bet if it calls for 30hp then you may just have to get a lower gear if its tall....

/ L3800 & 12' batwing question.
I am guessing but I imagine the grass will be 5" to 6" in a months time.

/ L3800 & 12' batwing question. #4  
You gotta Woods dealer close? My ask them about a demo,if they have one on lot. I looked up Landprides finish mower and it also calls for 30 to 65hp.I been pulling a 15ft batwing shredder with my M5040 and most call for 50hp and I have been suprised how good it does with it.

/ L3800 & 12' batwing question. #5  
Is your L3800 hydrostatic? If it is I think you will struggle. A relative had the same mower behind a 40hp hst tractor (32 pto hp) and it struggled if the grass was not mowed every 5 days. A couple time he went 2 weeks due to weather and his tractor was overheating unless was at a crawl speed. He stepped up to a 65hp Case and has no problem.

/ L3800 & 12' batwing question. #6  
More power Mr. Scott!!
I see farmers around these parts cutting stubble with 15' batwings using what I would guess to be 80 horse machines. Maybe that's just what they have, but I've never seen them using Utility sized machines. Don't think I would try it with a 12 footer with less than 45hp geared.

/ L3800 & 12' batwing question. #7  
Thanks! Exactly the info I was hoping for.

Yea, it is hydrostatic. I was really doubting my ability to do this and y'all have cemented that opinion. Thanks much for the info guys.

/ L3800 & 12' batwing question. #10  
Yea, it is hydrostatic. I was really doubting my ability to do this and y'all have cemented that opinion. Thanks much for the info guys.

The other aspect of this is that finish mowers are meant to cut the grass every 7 days -- so it never gets to looking like a hay field. That's why they have lower HP requirements than rough cut mowers.

If they want it cut every 30 days, it's a rough cut. If they want a finish mower result, it's every 7 days. They don't get finish mower result and a 30 day cut!