Check em tomorrow

/ Check em tomorrow #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
doing some loader work today with my 128hr 2011 JD 4720, and happen to look down at the front wheel and all but one bolt was fully screwed in! all of the other bolts were a tread or two ready to fall out. everyone should check all of their wheel bolts first thing tomorrow. man that is scary...dodged a bullet!:confused2:

/ Check em tomorrow #2  
Thanks for posting. Sound advice. Before I use my tractor, I do a walk around the tractor. I check the oil level, transmission level, open the hood and check the radiator level, belt tension, and check the lugs by hand and eyesight. When doing this, I also observe to check if anything is in between the FEL and the front of the chassis. My son in law once placed a 5 gallon plastic container of diesel there. After a quick once over, I remove the wheel chocks and hop aboard.

/ Check em tomorrow #3  
Walk around each time. Check lugs after using for heavy duty work. When I grease the backhoe I check bolts also.

/ Check em tomorrow #4  
Took my pu to the local Firestone store for a front end alignment and rotation. When I pulled put of the dealer I noticed a shimmy/vibration in the front end. Got home and checked the front wheels out. Of the 10 lug nuts 5 were missing 2 were tight and 3 I could turn with my fingers. After a heated arguement with Firestone they sent a truck out with replacement Dodge lug nuts and a compressor.
The A-hole wanted to know why I didn't bring it right back in to the shop. I didn't bother to explain why the vehicle shouldn't be driven at all.
After a letter from my attorney to Firestone's district manager I received a certificate for 2 tires. Big deal.
When I think back on it I get the creeps. Only 2 lug nuts holding 2 tires on I probably only had a few miles before I lost one or both front tires.
Fortunatley there was no damage to the alloy wheels.

/ Check em tomorrow #5  
I learned this lesson the hard way! I only had about 150 hours or so and found my lug nuts loose on the front wheel. It cost me new studs, nuts and a wheel after it was all said and done.

Now I check them all the time.

/ Check em tomorrow #6  
:2cents:
Took my pu to the local Firestone store for a front end alignment and rotation. When I pulled put of the dealer I noticed a shimmy/vibration in the front end. Got home and checked the front wheels out. Of the 10 lug nuts 5 were missing 2 were tight and 3 I could turn with my fingers. After a heated arguement with Firestone they sent a truck out with replacement Dodge lug nuts and a compressor.
The A-hole wanted to know why I didn't bring it right back in to the shop. I didn't bother to explain why the vehicle shouldn't be driven at all.
After a letter from my attorney to Firestone's district manager I received a certificate for 2 tires. Big deal.
When I think back on it I get the creeps. Only 2 lug nuts holding 2 tires on I probably only had a few miles before I lost one or both front tires.
Fortunatley there was no damage to the alloy wheels.

I guess I'm an a___hole also cause I'm wondering the same thing!!! :confused2: and after noticing the 'shimmy/vibration' you drove it home anyway!???

I would not have gone 1 block after noticing the 'shimmy/vibration' either pull over to the side of the road and do a walk around and call for service or drive 1 block back and say fix it! Just My :2cents: worth

/ Check em tomorrow #7  
doing some loader work today with my 128hr 2011 JD 4720, and happen to look down at the front wheel and all but one bolt was fully screwed in! all of the other bolts were a tread or two ready to fall out. everyone should check all of their wheel bolts first thing tomorrow. man that is scary...dodged a bullet!:confused2:

Thanks for the heads up!
We check the torque on ours at least 3 times a year, Before and after hay season and 1 time during the winter when we do a complet service and clean up on each rig, and fix everthing thats wrong. :thumbsup:

/ Check em tomorrow #8  
Thanks for the heads up!
We check the torque on ours at least 3 times a year, Before and after hay season and 1 time during the winter when we do a complet service and clean up on each rig, and fix everthing thats wrong. :thumbsup:

It was closer to go home than back to Firestone.

/ Check em tomorrow #9  
I just switched the wifes tires over from Winters.
I convince her to help but she was impatient the entire time.
I rushed the job and nearly paid dearly as her drivers front came loose while driving, she noticed (after 50 miles on the highway) and managed to snug them back up before losing a tire.
I torqued every lug nut to 100 foot pounds, at least I thought I did...
Won't be rushing that job ever again!

/ Check em tomorrow #10  
I found I could turn a couple lug nuts on my 50hr service a half turn or so giving them about 150ft-lbs. Surprised me a bit as I though these would be over tightened with an air gun, but I guess not.