Has anoyne ever traded down to a smaller tractor?

/ Has anoyne ever traded down to a smaller tractor? #1  

ddb123

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bad Boy MZ 42"
And been happier, I should add. I never come close to the limits of my tractor, and I often catch myself thinking I would trade some of its power for a few creature comforts. A smaller tractor would be nicer in the woods, too, and wouldn't be such a squeeze to fit under my shelter. This has me thinking that my next tractor will be a little smaller and less powerful, but have all the bells and whistles.

Has anyone ever traded down to a smaller, less powerful tractor and been happier with it? I know many on here do the opposite (or wish they had, or could). Another thread got me thinking along these lines, but I didn't want to hijack it.

/ Has anoyne ever traded down to a smaller tractor? #2  
I had a BX22 on a 3 acre property. I got a L3700 SU for the property I now have (25ac) If I ever went back to a smaller property, I would get a BX 25 in a second.

/ Has anoyne ever traded down to a smaller tractor? #3  
i just down sized from a 50+ hp utility tractor to a cut- jd 110. and i miss the bigger frame, greater mass and traction of the utility class. Although the JD 110 is very capable, and with the ehydro very fast. I miss the sheer mass and power ( TRACTION ) of the larger frame machine. I need the backhoe functionality of the 110 right now, and I like the 110 enough to keep it, but I am aleady looking for a used agi tractor with a weight of of 9 -10k.
This may not be your situation, but the principal is the same. Unless your present machine is just too big, you will likely be disappointed in a smaller ( less mass) machine.

/ Has anoyne ever traded down to a smaller tractor? #4  
Smaller????

Blasphemer!

(just joking;))

/ Has anoyne ever traded down to a smaller tractor? #5  
When my days of market gardening come to an end, basically because my body wouldn't be able to do it anymore, I'd go back to a BX type/sized tractor in a heart beat. I know that won't be for a few year anyhow and by then, maybe Kubota will have seriously upgraded and updated the machine. The price will probably scare me to death by then. :laughing:

/ Has anoyne ever traded down to a smaller tractor? #6  
Have been thinking about it. I have been hearing lots of pretty good stuff about the GC2600 Massey. I stuck on red. A belly mower with a FEL would be a great combo. But I could keep my 1215 and just buy a new riding mower cheaper haha

/ Has anoyne ever traded down to a smaller tractor? #7  
medicshawn sold his L3940 and bought a BX1860 due to changed circumstances, but I forgot the details.

/ Has anoyne ever traded down to a smaller tractor? #8  
Smaller????
Blasphemer!
(just joking;))

Smaller is better if you need to do a lot of mowing, and have soft ground to drive on. Mine's a heavy beast and I almost stuck it in the mud this past weekend moving gravel to firm up the drive.

Smaller is better to fit between trees and barn doors, or under garage doors. I recall Kubota has a narrow frame version of a couple of their CUTS. That also might go well for small row crop use.

Smaller "generally" uses less fuel, and costs less to buy too.

/ Has anoyne ever traded down to a smaller tractor? #9  
Smaller "generally" uses less fuel, and costs less to buy too.

Used 100+ hp machines are normally less $$$ than 25-30hp. Oh, and those 100+ hp machines will complete the same tasks using less fuel. Disc a couple hundred acres with each and compare receipts.;)

/ Has anoyne ever traded down to a smaller tractor? #10  
I sort of did... I bought a smaller one and am very happy with it but I also bought a bigger one at the same time. I'm happier with that one too. :laughing:

I don't know how I did anything without my first tractor but after the first few weeks I realized that it was both too big and too small :confused2:

Since my equipment was bought used the resale difference was small. I learned a few things: 1) I should have bought one earlier; 2) It's so much more enjoyable / easier / safer when the machine is right for the job.

Have fun!