3 point hitch Draw Bar

/ 3 point hitch Draw Bar #1  

damon c

Tractor
JD 4310
Hi Guys, new to the form (and tractors)and thought I would start out with a question. I want to pull a farm trailer that has a ball reviver with my JD 4310 and I was thinking of getting one of those bars that goes between the 3 point hitch and put a ball on it. Is there anything wrong with this or is there anything I need to know?

Thanks
Damon

/ 3 point hitch Draw Bar #2  
That's what I use and it works fine.

/ 3 point hitch Draw Bar #4  
You need something to keep it from rotating when pulling or braking.

Bruce

/ 3 point hitch Draw Bar #5  
The simple bar wants to rotate, and will put some stresses on the trailer hitch, as it rotates fore & aft. They make clips that go one one end to keep the bar from rotating, or better yet is the type like this site sells, that has a vertical bar and uses the top link, with a reciever hitch tube so you can put in a ball hitch, pin hitch, etc. It keeps the hitch level and stable at all times.

The other issue is a safety issue. If the trailer gets tail-heavy, or you come down a steep hill and try to stop, the 3pt hitch can rear up and slam upwards pretty badly, damaging something or jacknifing the tractor or at least startling the heck out of you. Best to use a short chain from the 3pt hitch to the regular drawbar to limit the upward movement of the 3pt hitch.

--->Paul

/ 3 point hitch Draw Bar #6  
   / 3 point hitch Draw Bar #7  
The attachment is the proper setup for a 3PH drawbar with a ball. Just remember if you put in the drawbar stays to the toplink bracket, don't go changing your 3PH lever to a higher setting. Doing that will test your relief valve and may bend the stays. The blue bracket on the left side in this photo is a common way of keeping the drawbar from rotating. Notice it has a cutout slot for the drawbar stay and will only work on the left side.

Attachments

• 3PH.jpg
    3PH.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 8,603
   / 3 point hitch Draw Bar #8  
The cheapest and easiest way is to just put a ball on the swinging draw bar.

/ 3 point hitch Draw Bar #9  
I've got one that is a triangle shape and connects to the lower arms and top link and has a 2" receiver in the bottom center. Its got cross bracing making it very heavy and strong and that gives a place to hook safety chains if you've got them. You can raise and lower it with the 3pt so you can just back up to something, hook it on, move it and then drop it again without having to leave your seat. I believe it went for about $150 at the dealer.

/ 3 point hitch Draw Bar #10  
Mine is somewhat similar in design to shortthrow5 except that my lower horizontal cross bar is a 300 lb elevator weight that is my ballast as well.
Best of all worlds!