Tractor Pulling Tool Preferrence

/ Tractor Pulling Tool Preferrence #1  

duckngooser

Tractor
New Holland TB100 & Massey Ferguson 3660
I've been reading a few forums lately about what people use to pull tractors out of the mud.

So, the question is: chain, cable, nylon tow strap, or polyester tow strap?

Most of what I'm reading talks about how much safer the top straps are compared to chains/cable as they won't fire a chunk of metal at your head if something breaks! :D

So which do you prefer?

Also, I've read about people using chains hooked to wheel hubs chained to an anchor to pull themselves out. Has anyone ever tried this method?

/ Tractor Pulling Tool Preferrence #2  
If anybody has told you that a tow strap isn't dangerous, they don't know what the heck they are talking about. They are stretchy by design so that 1) they absorb and cushion any big jerks and 2) allow the pulling vehicle's momentum to tug a little more than the brute force. Once they stretch out, if something gives way, look out! My strap was rated at 20,000lbs. But I've had my expedition to spin out in 4x4 pulling on it. If it broke with that much pressure, you better believe something is going to get slung.

/ Tractor Pulling Tool Preferrence #3  
I agree about the poly straps. The Navy has a good training flick called "Synthetic Line Snap Back" which clearly demonstrates the destructive power of a poly line gone bad. There are types known as "dead" drops, which do not snap back, (well almost do not). The tow straps are very good with strength to weight ratios about as good as it gets. When one broke, the end put a sizable dent in my Ranger's tail gate.

Of course, the last time I got my IH 574 stuck I needed every thing I had to get it out, was pulling with another tractor using chain, an ATV and a UTV with winch wires and a Chev 1/2 ton with nylon straps.

/ Tractor Pulling Tool Preferrence #4  
Stretch a rubber band till it breaks. Does it just drop?

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA174041
"Synthetic fiber rope snaps back at about 700 feet/sec; wire rope at about 450 feet/sec. Therefore, both ropes are deadly to anyone standing near them when a failure occurs. In the early 1980's several synthetic fiber ropes did fail. In one nine month period three sailors were killed and four had one or both legs cut off. "

-----------------------------------------------

There are tow straps meant to stretch very little, and recovery straps meant to stretch about 30%. But both stretch and recoil.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZF9V-YZx7E]Jeep strap snap - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAY0oVwuzNY]Tow strap breaks and goes through glass - YouTube[/ame]

/ Tractor Pulling Tool Preferrence #5  
To help when things go bad, keep a couple of heavy Carhart jackets, or similar, and hang them on the straps, chains, or cables. Be amazed at how well it keeps the straps from flying after breaking. We do this all the time with turn out gear.

/ Tractor Pulling Tool Preferrence #6  
I prefer a chain. If it breaks it usually doesn't fly like a cable or rope. Just get a very big chain and a tractor way bigger than yours and it comes right out.:)

/ Tractor Pulling Tool Preferrence #7  
I prefer whatever I have to reach the next solid pull point!

Typically, a cable come-along, a couple chains AND a strap around the tree!

/ Tractor Pulling Tool Preferrence #8  
I always use nylon, big nylon that is properly secured to SMOOTH pull points. I have been using one inch nylon rope and have never had it break on a straight tug/jerk.
I have had people break it when they passed it over a sharp edge, or ran up on it while towing.
My rope had an eye splice at both ends and two short splices in the middle of its 25' feet when it got retired after 40 years of use. I also have another 100' piece that we used for longer pulls around the farm. Gonna be cutting 30' off to make a new 25' tow rope before I'm forced to use a piece of chain.
Over the years I have seen a few chains snap and fly, as well as various pieces of bumper/trailer hitch get ripped off by people jerking on a chain when a jerk on stretchy nylon would have got them unstuck safely.

/ Tractor Pulling Tool Preferrence #9  
If at all possible, work a snatch block into the pull to redirect any flying bits away from the back of your head.

/ Tractor Pulling Tool Preferrence
That's what I love about this site! No matter the question, there's several people with ways to get the job done! What's the heaviest anyone has towed? And what did you use?

I have a New Holland TB100 2 wheel drive.. When it gets stuck, I usually pull it out with my Massey 3660. The question I've been pondering is what to do if the Massey gets stuck. I don't think the NH would have the strength to pull it out if up to the frame..