Chain Hooks

/ Chain Hooks #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
I would like to have some chain hooks welded to my FEL bucket, but I'm not sure what size chain to use. I don't plan on lifting any thing heavy, maybe a 1,000 pound log or an implement into my pick up. The breakout force on the tractor is 2,700 lbs.
Stopped in TSC yesterday to have a look. Although they had no weld on hooks but they had plenty of chain. Looks like 5/16" Series 40 Galvenized steel chain with a working load rating of 1,600 lbs. might do it, assuming I'm using two lengths of chain.
Should I go up to 3/8"?

/ Chain Hooks #2  
There is a wealth of information on this topic if you do a search.

The only advantage to 5/16" is that it is lighter to handle. It will fit in 3/8" grab hooks.

I always use grade 70 chain no matter the size. If you ever need to trailer the tractor some states require this grade as well as 3/8".

Truck & Tow is a good place to get chain and grab hooks. If you sign up for their newsletter they will give you free shipping on the first order and then occasionally afterwards. It makes a big difference with heavy orders. There are other places as well.

http://www.truckntow.com/p-11373-weld-on-grab-hook-38-pellican-hook.aspx

/ Chain Hooks #3  
For dead lifting with the FEL, 5/16 should be fine. Will you be using the same chain to pull from your drawbar? If so, do you think you may ever try to "pop" something - say a stump out of the ground or another vehicle that's stuck in the mud to it's axles?

I've been good with 5/16" grade 70, but I never "pop" stuff, so please consider that when deciding for yourself.

My point is, if you think you will need the 3/8" chain, then make sure your FEL hooks will work with it.

/ Chain Hooks #4  
I would like to have some chain hooks welded to my FEL bucket, but I'm not sure what size chain to use. I don't plan on lifting any thing heavy, maybe a 1,000 pound log or an implement into my pick up. The breakout force on the tractor is 2,700 lbs.
Stopped in TSC yesterday to have a look. Although they had no weld on hooks but they had plenty of chain. Looks like 5/16" Series 40 Galvenized steel chain with a working load rating of 1,600 lbs. might do it, assuming I'm using two lengths of chain.
Should I go up to 3/8"?

I would suggest using 3/8" hooks. Think about which is easier, using smaller chain with the 3/8" hooks, or trying to make a bigger chain (you may need sometime) work with the smaller hooks? You can always use slightly smaller chain with a bigger hook, but you can't use bigger chain with smaller hooks, and once they're welded on...

I have 3/8" grab hooks on my bucket, and it's met all my needs so far, for occasional lifting or light pulling.

HH

/ Chain Hooks #5  
Grade 40 chain is very disappointing, only buy gr 70. You won't regret wasted money or something busted. Gr 40 is a waste.

I'd do the 3/8 hooks as mentioned, either size chain, but for sure in gr 70.

--->Paul

/ Chain Hooks #6  
Grade 40 chain is very disappointing, only buy gr 70. You won't regret wasted money or something busted. Gr 40 is a waste.

I'd do the 3/8 hooks as mentioned, either size chain, but for sure in gr 70.

--->Paul

Not trying to derail the thread, but can you see a difference between 40 and 70? I have different chains around here collected over the years, so I was wondering if there is something different looking between the two.

/ Chain Hooks #7  
Chain Grading

Gr 70 Transport

As its name implies Transport Chain is used primarily to tie down loads on over-the-road equipment. The yellow chromate (gold) plating makes it easily recognizable even from a distance. Made from heat-treated carbon steel it has about 25% more strength than high test chains. Hallmarked every 1 to 3 feet with manufacturer's symbol and grade marking: 7, 70 or 700.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have some grade 70 that had been in the weather for several years and now the plating is gone, but the markings are still plain to see.

Bruce

/ Chain Hooks #8  
Not trying to derail the thread, but can you see a difference between 40 and 70? I have different chains around here collected over the years, so I was wondering if there is something different looking between the two.
I've never seen grade 40 in short link but maybe it is available. And that's where you'll see and feel the difference in handling the chain. Go short link, you'll be glad you did.

/ Chain Hooks #9  
Won't garentee anything, and throw in the China 'quailty' issues and who knows....

But a 40 chain tends to be silver color that rusts quickly to rust with no marks at all.

Gr 70 tends to be the gold color, and doesn't rust nearly as quickly. There may be a '7' or '70' stamped on the links or hooks; but of course hooks coulda been swapped out if it's an old chain.

Just found this on the web:

Chain Grades

Grade 30 Proof Coil Chain

A general purpose chain of standard commercial quality. Made from low carbon steel, this chain is frequently used for fabricating tow chains, logging chains and, when appropriate, tie down or binding chains. The manufacturer's symbol and grade marking: 3, 30 or 300 is placed on the chain links every foot or so. Not to be used for overhead lifting.

Grade 40 High Test Chain

Is a higher strength chain used for years in the trucking industry for tie downs that meet DOT specifications. Made from a higher carbon steel, its strength surpasses proof coil working load limits, size for size, by a factor of 2 to 1. The manufacturer's symbol and grade marking: 4, 40, 43 or 400 is placed on the chain links every foot or so. Not to be used for overhead lifting.

Grade 70 Transport Chain

As its name implies Transport Chain is used primarily to tie down loads on over-the-road equipment. Made from heat-treated carbon steel it has about 25% more strength than high test chains. The manufacturer's symbol and grade marking: 7, 70 or 700 is placed on the chain links every foot or so. Not to be used for overhead lifting.

Grade 80 Alloy Chain

Designed to stretch a minimum of 15% before it breaks, alloy chain is the only grade of chain approved by OSHA and other agencies for overhead lifting. Its alloy, heat-treated steel makes it ideal for making lifting slings and heavy duty tow chains. The manufacturer's symbol and grade marking: 8, 80 or 800 is placed on the chain links every foot or so. Suitable for overhead lifting.

Grade 100 Alloy Chain

The most recent alloy chain provides about 25% higher working load limits than Grade 80 alloy chain with some limitations reported in lower ambient temperatures and availability of fittings. The manufacturer's symbol and grade marking: 10 or 100 is placed on the chain links every foot or so. Suitable for overhead lifting.

/ Chain Hooks
Thanks all for the advice!! I have a length of logging chain with hooks on either end that I use for pulling trees out of the woods with my drawbar. The links are very heavy 1/2 inch I would guess. No way my 48 horse machine would ever break it.
I was going to buy 20 ft. for use with the bucket, sound right?
Mark