Loader Am I abusing my tractor?

/ Am I abusing my tractor? #1  

coveredbridge

Gold Member
Tractor
BX25D, JD 820
Lately when I'm doing loader work, I notice that when I put the tractor under a big load (pushing into the snow, leaf pile) I get a little whiff of hydraulic oil. It doesn't smell burnt, it smells just like it does when you pour it out of the bottle. I can never find oil leaking anywhere, so what is causing this odor, and does it mean I'm overloading the tranny/hydraulic/4wd system? Is it indicating a problem in one of these systems? Or is it normal and I just never noticed it before? I like to maximize the functionality of my equipment, but I don't want to abuse it.

/ Am I abusing my tractor? #2  
You might have a pinhole in a hose or line that is leaking only under high pressure. If you smell hyd oil it is getting out somewhere.

/ Am I abusing my tractor? #3  
Check those levels :thumbsup:

/ Am I abusing my tractor? #4  
I'd say this is normal - when its warm out and I work the loader and BH hard the tranny vents and I smell hydro fluid - no leaks - its just the bubbles in the oil after working hard have to expand and have to vent somewhere.

BTW I have a B21TLB and it has a hyd oil cooler too but it still vents a oil smell after some hard digging or work out. The vent is under the seat so its not unusual in my opinion - just a sign things are working as they should

/ Am I abusing my tractor? #5  
As hydro fluid heats up it expands some which will push air (odors) out of the breathers.....

/ Am I abusing my tractor?
I'd say this is normal - when its warm out and I work the loader and BH hard the tranny vents and I smell hydro fluid - no leaks - its just the bubbles in the oil after working hard have to expand and have to vent somewhere.

BTW I have a B21TLB and it has a hyd oil cooler too but it still vents a oil smell after some hard digging or work out. The vent is under the seat so its not unusual in my opinion - just a sign things are working as they should

That was kind of what I thought, that it was venting from the tranny, since I couldn't find any oil anywhere, but I didn't know if that meant I was pushing it too hard.

/ Am I abusing my tractor? #7  
I've smelled the same thing on my L4200 kubota and my L5040 when I'im maxing the loader out. I think its normal and nothing to worry about. 13 years of use on my L4200 and 2 years on my L5040 with no issues. Fluid levels remain full just you smell a whiff of it now and then. I THINK it could be the pressure relief valve???

/ Am I abusing my tractor? #8  
When you abuse it the tranny oil will smell burned and be dark colored. On my BX 25 I have worked it hard for 400 hours in one year and the oil temp only gets warm to the touch, have lost no oil, it is still clear and smells sweet.

Ron

/ Am I abusing my tractor? #9  
Can you abuse a tractor? I've run mine in 120 degrees plus temp all day long doing anything I ask and the tractors beg for more.

I had one kubota that finally started over heating, the motor felt like a blast furnace. I looked at the screen in front of the radiator and it was 90% blocked from what I was doing.

Hosed off the screen, let her cool down, and we hit it again not skipping a beat.

/ Am I abusing my tractor? #10  

Agree!