Can't get out of 4WD

/ Can't get out of 4WD #1  

brcisna

Tractor
Mitsubishi MT2501D
Hello All,

Mitsubishi MT2501D. Put the tractor into 4WD to do some plowing. Now I cant get the little rascal to pop out of 4WD with the shifter.
Anyone ever run into this?

Thanks,
BC

/ Can't get out of 4WD #2  
Not unusual to get "gear bind"; if the tractor is equipped with a loader, lift front off the ground and shift; if not, run in reverse slowly while gently tugging on lever

/ Can't get out of 4WD #3  
If the front wheel drive lever is difficult to set to OFF, stop the tractor, turn the steering wheel and move the lever. Just a suggestion. Good Luck.

/ Can't get out of 4WD #4  
Creek bends idea sounds very good, if that does not work, jack up one front wheel and rock it back and forth, with you foot, while working the lever.
Just a thought!

/ Can't get out of 4WD
Hello All,

Thanks for all the given suggestions.
This is a 'new to me' tractor. The tractor does in fact have an front end loader as patches has surmised. I did try lifting the front end off the ground with the bucket and then shifting out of 4WD. No go. I have tried driving backwards easily and shifting out,,,and still will not pop out of 4WD.
I will get the tractor in the shop and jack up the front end and rock each side front wheel just to see if the darned thing will in fact come out of 4WD. The previous owner said he never had any trouble getting the tractor back out of 4WD.

Take Care,
BC

/ Can't get out of 4WD #6  
Sounds like drive line wind up. You need to load it up in reverse with all 4 tires on the ground, drag the bucket, apply the brakes fully and if you have a box blade push the ground with it. Retun to neutral, try to shift then repeat.
Just don't break the shift lever, it should go easy.

I had a gear driven transfer case that would do this in truck.
If the previous owner never or seldom used four wheel drive, it seems to exaggerate the problem.

/ Can't get out of 4WD #7  
Hello All,

Thanks for all the given suggestions.
This is a 'new to me' tractor. The tractor does in fact have an front end loader as patches has surmised. I did try lifting the front end off the ground with the bucket and then shifting out of 4WD. No go. I have tried driving backwards easily and shifting out,,,and still will not pop out of 4WD.
I will get the tractor in the shop and jack up the front end and rock each side front wheel just to see if the darned thing will in fact come out of 4WD. The previous owner said he never had any trouble getting the tractor back out of 4WD.

Take Care,
BC

Sounds like this is more, and/or other than gear bind.Check the linkage for binding;I'd shoot the linkage joints and the shaft(where it enters the transmission case) with a product like PB Blaster or such. If an extra pair of hands are available, while they gently tug on the lever, you gently tap on the shaft where it enters the case; a little rust/corrosion goes a long way in these places