Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    JD 3320 eHydro w/ 300CX Loader

Default Re: techniques for moving big rock with a CUT

This advice won't help much with your situation....but oftentimes its hard to get a hold of a big rock. Chains usually slip off at a critical time.

They tend to pull easier than push.....so, I have found a pretty good way to pull rocks. I use a tire chain to form a web behind the rock....then hook a log chain to the tire chain and then to the drawbar.

Also putting chains on your rear tires may provide the extra grip to pull that rock.
    3320 eHydro, 300CX Loader & 15 + great attachments

You gotta mine allot of dirt to find a diamond.

Tractor
    2015 Kioti RX7320PC, 1983 Kubota L275 4WD, 1981 John Deere 2440 2WD row crop tractor

I had a few very large rocks in my back lawn several years ago and didn't realize they were large until I started digging them out. Although I had a tractor I did not have a FEL or BH so I used a leverage pole to lift them enough to add smaller rocks under them. I raised them up 12" - 18" this way and they became the centerpieces of plantings around them. Sedum works well as a planting and provides color much of the year.

These "rock gardens" provide interesting breaks in our lawn and because they are clearly visible there is no chance they will be hit with a mower.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

If it is too big for the BX to lift or push, I can usually roll it.

Bruce

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota b2920

Thanks everyone for all the good suggestions! I spent a bit of time with the beast today and ultimately solved the issue. I was surprised at what my 'toy' tractor could accomplish, but given the size and weight of the rock it wasn't going to happen.... I made a few discoveries that made pulling it out a no-go, the biggest one was that due to the location i would have had to pull it across my newly re-paved driveway. The other problem turned out to be that it was pointed on the bottom, so it really dug in when pulled. I did get it to move a big by lifting one side with the 3 pt and pulling it. Doing that I was able to move it to a deeper part of the hole I dug with the BH and then use rocks to angle it so it was well below grade. The idea of a big hole and pushing the rock in was a nice one, but my soil is more rock than dirt, so I quickly found that it was sitting directly on top of a rock of equal size, so reconfiguration was the only option. I did try the wedge and feather method to split it, but my wedges weren't big enough and drilling into solid granite quickly gets old so I abandoned that approach. I did get another one out that was maybe half the size via the ramp and push technique, that one was more round so it kind of rolled, which to the weight off the tractor.

Tractor
    BX 2360

Best options are dig the hole bigger and deeper and bury it. Had one in the back yard. Didn't think it was that big. Hitting it with bh made it move. Dug all around it. this rock was five feet across, about four feet wide and three tall. No way was I going to be able to get it out of the hole. Dug the hole deeper and big enough to roll it into and buried it. The reason for the movement, was because it was sitting on top of another rock.

Brian
    Brian

BX 2360, FEL, back blade, Jari Versa-Daptor, Jari forks, Tooth bar, wear bar WR Long. FEL snow plow, transformer, Payne clamp on forks, rear remotes ratchet rake.DR chipper, landprides 3ph snow blower

Tractor
    none

Quote Originally Posted by J_J View Post
    Just build a good fire around it and let burn for a couple of hours, and then pour cold water on it and it may fracture.

I have used this method along with hammer drill and 1/2" very long masonry bit. Drill a line of holes, build a big fire on top and under if possible. Then with cold water and a sledge I should break.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by foggy1111 View Post
    This advice won't help much with your situation....but oftentimes its hard to get a hold of a big rock. Chains usually slip off at a critical time.

They tend to pull easier than push.....so, I have found a pretty good way to pull rocks. I use a tire chain to form a web behind the rock....then hook a log chain to the tire chain and then to the drawbar.

Also putting chains on your rear tires may provide the extra grip to pull that rock.
    Thank you for that idea!

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12