techniques for moving big rock with a CUT

/ techniques for moving big rock with a CUT #11  
This advice won't help much with your situation....but oftentimes its hard to get a hold of a big rock. Chains usually slip off at a critical time.

They tend to pull easier than push.....so, I have found a pretty good way to pull rocks. I use a tire chain to form a web behind the rock....then hook a log chain to the tire chain and then to the drawbar.

Also putting chains on your rear tires may provide the extra grip to pull that rock.

/ techniques for moving big rock with a CUT #12  
I had a few very large rocks in my back lawn several years ago and didn't realize they were large until I started digging them out. Although I had a tractor I did not have a FEL or BH so I used a leverage pole to lift them enough to add smaller rocks under them. I raised them up 12" - 18" this way and they became the centerpieces of plantings around them. Sedum works well as a planting and provides color much of the year.

These "rock gardens" provide interesting breaks in our lawn and because they are clearly visible there is no chance they will be hit with a mower.

/ techniques for moving big rock with a CUT #13  
If it is too big for the BX to lift or push, I can usually roll it.

Bruce

/ techniques for moving big rock with a CUT
Thanks everyone for all the good suggestions! I spent a bit of time with the beast today and ultimately solved the issue. I was surprised at what my 'toy' :D tractor could accomplish, but given the size and weight of the rock it wasn't going to happen.... I made a few discoveries that made pulling it out a no-go, the biggest one was that due to the location i would have had to pull it across my newly re-paved driveway. The other problem turned out to be that it was pointed on the bottom, so it really dug in when pulled. I did get it to move a big by lifting one side with the 3 pt and pulling it. Doing that I was able to move it to a deeper part of the hole I dug with the BH and then use rocks to angle it so it was well below grade. The idea of a big hole and pushing the rock in was a nice one, but my soil is more rock than dirt, so I quickly found that it was sitting directly on top of a rock of equal size, so reconfiguration was the only option. I did try the wedge and feather method to split it, but my wedges weren't big enough and drilling into solid granite quickly gets old so I abandoned that approach. I did get another one out that was maybe half the size via the ramp and push technique, that one was more round so it kind of rolled, which to the weight off the tractor.

/ techniques for moving big rock with a CUT #15  
Best options are dig the hole bigger and deeper and bury it. Had one in the back yard. Didn't think it was that big. Hitting it with bh made it move. Dug all around it. this rock was five feet across, about four feet wide and three tall. No way was I going to be able to get it out of the hole. Dug the hole deeper and big enough to roll it into and buried it. The reason for the movement, was because it was sitting on top of another rock.

Brian

/ techniques for moving big rock with a CUT #16  
Just build a good fire around it and let burn for a couple of hours, and then pour cold water on it and it may fracture.

I have used this method along with hammer drill and 1/2" very long masonry bit. Drill a line of holes, build a big fire on top and under if possible. Then with cold water and a sledge I should break.

/ techniques for moving big rock with a CUT #17  
This advice won't help much with your situation....but oftentimes its hard to get a hold of a big rock. Chains usually slip off at a critical time.

They tend to pull easier than push.....so, I have found a pretty good way to pull rocks. I use a tire chain to form a web behind the rock....then hook a log chain to the tire chain and then to the drawbar.

Also putting chains on your rear tires may provide the extra grip to pull that rock.

Thank you for that idea!

James K0UA