New To This Tractor Business/Stuffz :)

/ New To This Tractor Business/Stuffz :) #1  

xgraysonx

Tractor
Farmall B
ok so i work out on my grandma and grandpa's old farm doing work in the yard cleaning up mowing tending the gardens and such but lately ive been doing alot heavier work cleaning out the shelter belts of old equipment to sell them, a few years ago we had an auction and sold off everything except a single tractor, a mccormick farmall b culti-vision, it hasen't ran properly in atleast 5-10 years and im just curious what all would i be looking at having to do to make her run good again?

i know oil and filter obviously but i would like to know what weight/grade of oil to use in something like that?

would the carbeurator need a rebuild? and what other liquids would i look at having to put into it...

i need it mostly for bigger pulling than i wanna try to use my truck for...

and also does this tractor have an altenator of a sort? because im thinking of putting a 4000lb winch on it i just don't know if it actually has the altenator to recharge the battery :) thanks for any info ahead of time and this last question might have seemed somewhat stupid :p

Edit: i also want to get a 3pt mower for the back of it to mow out some heavier stuff. anything i need to know about this before i get too involved? and or what is a good brand/place to get a good 3pt used? (area is grand forks north dakota) not much here to be honest :\

Last edited:
   / New To This Tractor Business/Stuffz :) #2  
After changing the oil and filter, a good start would be to put the ignition system in order and clean the carburetor.

Some of the older Farmalls had a magneto ignition, needing no battery to run. Others had a battery ignition, more like automobiles of the time. The battery ignition ones had a spark coil separate from the distributor. You may be able to find a maintenance manual online, or paper one at Tractor Supply, which should help you in rebuilding the igntion system. If you nave the battery ignition, you will probably need a set of points, new plug and coil wires, a distributor cap, a rotor, and a set of spark plugs. You may need anew coil as well. The magneto system would be similar, but I am less familiar with what parts you might need there.

My Dad had some Farmall tractors with magnetos, but they always worked. we didn't need to tinker them at all.

Also, If you haven't done so already, you will probably need a new 6 volt battery. You can get those at Tractor Supply.

While you may end up rebuilding the carburetor, I would just start with a can of carb cleaner. I would remove the carb and spray everything I could get to with the cleaner. Since I have had experience taking carbs apart, I would probably disassemble and clean everything, and put it back together without buying any new parts. You need to be very careful of any gaskets in disassembly. If you break or tear them, you may be able to put it back together with gasket cement. In the worst case, you may have to make or buy a new gasket.

I would also do a compression check on the engine. I can't tell you offhand what the compression should be (a manual would help here), but all cylinders should be within 10 or 15% of each other. If they vary more than that, you may have problems with rings or valves.

The charging system on these old tractors used a generator, which makes direct current. Today's alternators produce alternating current, which is rectified (converted) into DC. You should be able to find a shop that can rebuild your generator, if you're not up to doing it yourself. There is also a voltage regulator, which is a key component in the charging system. You have to be sure to get the right replacement regulator. Also, if memory serves, the 6 volt electrical system on the that tractor is probably a positive ground (The + terminal connects to the frame and the - terminal is the power "feed"). This should be confirmed with a manual.

Good luck with your project!

/ New To This Tractor Business/Stuffz :)
thank you so much for your help so far!!! :)

ok so i talked to my grandma again about all of this again after work, they have a few acres going out of crp this year and it either needs to be reseeded or rented/planted by someone because she needs the income from it, would i be able to do that with this tractor? or would i need something bigger. and what tools/implements/attachments would i need? you might not be a farmer but if someone else is could i please get some insight on this :)

long story short we threw it into crp as my grandpa was loosing his sanity due to alzheimers. i've always loved working on the farm and if it saves my grandma or makes her money i'm willing to get my butt out there. only problem was i was too young when my grandpa was alive to learn anything about farming and my uncles are to say it nicely pricks about it... we don't want to rent it because it's been our family land for YEARS and we don't wanna change that. so im going to have some really stupid/noobie questions so please be patient :)

/ New To This Tractor Business/Stuffz :) #4  
You are a really great grandson and the gang here will probably have all kinds of advice for you. I know very little about older equipment and farming for income, so I won't stick my $.02 in on those topics. What you a proposing is very smart, and when all the hard work is done I think you will have accomplished something that you and your grandma can be very proud of. And maybe show your uncles a thing or two!

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

-Jim

I'm not really trying to farm it or make an income off it although I'd love to. I'm just trying to get it along till my uncles son is old enough to get at it... Although with the way things are going I might en up having to do it haha

ok so about 2 days ago i got the b running but for some reason it would runn for about 5 seconds then just die... so i cleaned out the carb put it back on still same problem. i made sure there was new gas and stuff in it so that's not the problem, i noticed theres a cap at the bottom of the "air cleaner" that has oil in it, that is normal im guessing? i've never worked with tractors :p but yeh, any ideas? my moms ex moved it yesterday so i don't know if he got it completely running or just pushed/pulled it like we normal do

/ New To This Tractor Business/Stuffz :) #7  
Good going so far. If it runs and dies sounds like it has a fuel supply problem It's getting just a little fuel. Did you clean the sediment bowl and screen on the bottom of the fuel tank? It's that clear glass thing, which probably is not clear now. Shut off the fuel at the valve right there. loosen the little thumb wheel under the bowl and swing the little metal bracket away. The glass bowl may be stuck on. You can tap it with a screwdriver handle to get it loose but remember it is glass and it will break if you hit it too hard of drop it. Clean the glass with carb cleaner inside and out. You should be able to see through it. After you get it apart look in the top part that is still on the tractor. There should be a screen there. It is held in place with the gasket. CAREFULLY pry it out and make sure it is clean. After it is all clean put it back together and see if that helps. You may wind up with a fuel leak because of useing the gasket over. The little cork gaskets are cheap so you may have to get one.

really crappy weather going through my area for the next few days so wont be going out to work/look at the tractors will update when i do though :p my mom's ex did say he got it running ok though