Way Off Topic- Identity Theft

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #11  
Ok. :thumbsup: You just paid the equivalent of Samoli pirates as the easier path to take. That, of course, just encourages them to board your boat again.

That's about the jist of it.

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #12  
The problem is this. By the time it trickles back down to you, several years have expired

This is an understatement and as far as I'm concerned, corporate irresponsibility.

In 2004, I received a letter from a credit provider canceling my credit line due to negativity on my credit report. Shortly after the first letter, I received a few more.

I contacted one of the credit reporting agencies and found that Verizon Wireless posted an unpaid debit against me in the sum of $902.00. It took me two months of work to discover that the bad debit was from a company that was bought by a company that was bought by Verizon.

It turned out that it was a cell phone account opened in my name in 1998, in a city that I never lived in.

We are fairly helpless when it comes to defending our credit and I don't see a workable solution. I check my credit report every year but what else can I do to protect myself?

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #13  
YOU don't have to prove the debt is not yours

I can tell you have never had a bad debit that was not yours slapped against you. I'm not being funny or a smart *****, I've been through it and I had to prove the debit wasn't mine.

It takes a lot of time and costs to prove you are not guilty.

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #14  
It turned out that it was a cell phone account opened in my name in 1998, in a city that I never lived in.

We are fairly helpless when it comes to defending our credit and I don't see a workable solution. I check my credit report every year but what else can I do to protect myself?

The identical scenario as my situation. I even visited and took pictures of the residence to which the account belonged.

Double burn; Put a stipulation on my credit bureau that I had to be notified in the event of an application for credit. This has been pointed to as an indication of 'risky behaviour" during my last two legitmate applications for credit.

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #16  
Why don't the Feds crackdown on all this nonsense?

...........Too busy worrying about gun control and cracking down on the very citizens that support it (government).....

Never give a credit card number out on the phone to anyone.....

Always check the encryption certificate when buying anything over the Internet.......

Never let anyone see your credit card numbers when paying for items such as gasoline where you 'swipe' your card.......

Run a pre screening program on your computer as well as an Internet security program. I run Norton 360 plus Postini on all my incoming e-mail. Postini is one of the best pre-screening programs out there.

Never divulge any personal information to anyone on the ner or on the phone, especially your cellphone. Cellphone transmissions are not encrypted and can be intercepted by anyone with the proper equipment. Your cellphone is a short range RF transmission, much like a walkie talkie.

Finally, check the laws in your state concerning fraudulent purchases on your credit cards and chek with your credit card provider. Most card companies limit the liability to the first 50 dollars of any questionable transaction and some states limit the liability to even less....

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #17  
Seems like every few months I read, or hear about, a major breach of security by some credit processing company, where tens of thousands of persons have had their credit card info "stolen" and off we go. I use credit cards for internet purchases on a pretty regular basis, but I always wonder if I am being foolish or worse. I try to deal with known companies, but the actual processing takes place who knows where? Maybe India, or the Philippines or ?? Scary business, living in the modern world.

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #18  
Seems like every few months I read, or hear about, a major breach of security by some credit processing company, where tens of thousands of persons have had their credit card info "stolen" and off we go. I use credit cards for internet purchases on a pretty regular basis, but I always wonder if I am being foolish or worse. I try to deal with known companies, but the actual processing takes place who knows where? Maybe India, or the Philippines or ?? Scary business, living in the modern world.

Not really. With secure encryption, all your transcations are done electronically, no human ever has access to the information. When a credit card company has a breach, it ussually involves hard statements of electronically recorded statements. The actual point of sale isn't available to the credit card company, only the seller and the portal and once the sale is transacted, the personal information is expunged and only the electronic signature remains.

You probably aren't aware of ot but a personal check is basically a credit card without finance charges. The electronic signature (routing code makes every check a wire transfer. There is no more cancelled checks. they are destroyed (shredded) as soon as the retailer or what whomever you pay to, records the code and amount. I do just that myself with my business. Once I submit the payment, the paper instrument is destroyed.

I encourage my customers to pay with a check and avoid any finance charges.

The most secure site is of course Pay-Pal. It's also the least expensive portal because they base revenue (income) on volume.

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #19  

And here's the latest, released on Friday afternoon into Saturday of course, to limit the amount of public exposure: 'Massive' Credit Card Data Breach Involves All Major Brands - Project Economy News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #20  
It is and still is a non-issue for card holders because the issuing company will stand liable for any fradulent charges and it only effects major cards like Capital One. Small card issuers aren't at risk.

This stuff goes on, on a smaller scale, everyday. The media just don't get wind of it.