Way Off Topic- Identity Theft

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
A warning to all who buy parts etc. over the net.
Some one made two loans in my sister's name over the net.
They had gotten her Full Name, Address, SSN, DOB, Employer and Phone Number. One was made by an outfit called Think Cash in Houston, the other through Cash Jar in Santa Barbara, CA. They were for $500 each and with 198% interest and various fees the $1,000 is now $2,900. The cops won't help and she's had to hire an attorney to straighten out the mess with a collection agency who now owns the loans.
She's an upper level executive with a 6 figure income and has no need to borrow $1,000 at usery rates.
Guard you SSN with your life and keep an eye on your credit history.
This scks but it's a sign of the times in which we live.
Check out Life Lock.

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #2  
Yup, I have found two addresses on my credit reports that were not mine. I had one collection agency trying to collect a debt related to those. Trying to prove that the debts are not yours is next to impossible, so I wound up negotiating a settlement with the debtor. It really made my blood boil.

In our house if you are caught giving out any personal information over the web or the phone,,,, dad (me) blows a gasket.

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #3  
Also keep one credit card strictly for use over the internet and make sure that card has a credit limit that can only be increased by a specific request from you. Keep a low limit, like $500-$1000, so you can limit the loss if it gets hacked.

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft
Our State's Attorney's office has a division for Economic Crimes, they have done nothing to help.
The loan thing is scary because they don't need a credit card number. They did obtain her DOB and SSN which is bad enough. Her Lawyer says that with a bit of effort the people that pulled this off can be located and prosecuted as well as face a civil suit. I'm afraid I'd be out for vengence, no matter what it cost.

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #5  
The problem is this. By the time it trickles back down to you, several years have expired. In my case five years, before the credit agency tracked me down and demanded payment for a debt that wasn't mine. Very difficult to prove anything after this much time has elapsed. There is no agency in place that will do any real investigation, the credit bureau will do nothing for you, and the creditor ( collection agency ) wants his money.

The real burn is that the credit bureau will seemingly allow anyone to post a comment on your file, but then try to get that removed is virtually impossible.

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #6  
If indeed this was a result of a credit card transaction, some companies allow a one time purchase card only. The number is cyber generated and cannot be used again for another transaction. Based on a user name and password, one can make all of their online purchases with this type of "card"

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #7  
Why pay anything on a debt you don't owe?

YOU don't have to prove the debt is not yours, the shoe is on the other foot. The collection agency has to prove it is your debt, and they can't. Not only that, they probably won't even file suit - they just harass people and pick the low hanging fruit.

If you are being harassed by a collection agency, get legal advice regarding the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collection Practices ACT). (That ACT won't help if you are in Canada though.)

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #8  
I broke down and signed up with life lock. For the few bucks it costs it's worth it. When I switched cell phone companies I was notified 3 or 4 times. Things like the credit check, my name being used, etc.

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #9  
Why pay anything on a debt you don't owe?

YOU don't have to prove the debt is not yours, the shoe is on the other foot. The collection agency has to prove it is your debt, and they can't. Not only that, they probably won't even file suit - they just harass people and pick the low hanging fruit.

If you are being harassed by a collection agency, get legal advice regarding the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collection Practices ACT). (That ACT won't help if you are in Canada though.)

Simple. You will not be able to successfully apply for credit until it's cleared. The collection agency doesn't have to prove anything.

/ Way Off Topic- Identity Theft #10  
Ok. :thumbsup: You just paid the equivalent of Samoli pirates as the easier path to take. That, of course, just encourages them to board your boat again.