Chinese privet Eradication

/ Chinese privet Eradication #1  

damon c

Tractor
JD 4310
Hi guys, I have a lot of privet bushes on my property that I want to get rid of. Its all about 2 or 3 feet tall. I am told that it is Chinese privet an invasive species. What痴 the best way to stop this stuff? I was thinking of cutting it with a brush blade on a heavy duty weed whacker and using a herbicide on the roots. Is there any special type of herbicide to use? I live in northern Alabama.

Thanks
Damon

/ Chinese privet Eradication #2  
Hi guys, I have a lot of privet bushes on my property that I want to get rid of. Its all about 2 or 3 feet tall. I am told that it is Chinese privet an invasive species. What痴 the best way to stop this stuff? I was thinking of cutting it with a brush blade on a heavy duty weed whacker and using a herbicide on the roots. Is there any special type of herbicide to use? I live in northern Alabama.

Thanks
Damon

Damon, I have been fighting the privet on my farm as well...mostly along the fence line at at the edges of the woods...

I have found a product at Home depot...you buy it on line it is called.." Compare and Save " 2.5 gal. Grass And Weed Killer 41% Glyphosate Concentrate-75325 at The Home Depot

It is much less than Round Up and I bush hogged all of my privet and then sprayed the stubs with Compare and Save and it has worked great...I am going to spray any that come up this spring again with the same thing...If you read the reviews by others that have used it...they seem happy and so far it has worked for me and saved me a lot vs. using Round Up.

/ Chinese privet Eradication #3  
Privet (Chinese and Japanese) is a true abomination. Depending on how much of the infernal stuff you have, you can save some time and effort by making foliar applications of glyphosate (the herbicide mentioned by Brin); i.e., just spray the leaves of the plants. In my experience, foliar applications aren't effective when the privet gets to be much more that 6' tall. You have to be patient, it will take 10 days or so to see the effects of foliar applications.

In case you don't have a Home Depot nearby, TSC also sells 41% glyphosate. Their regular price is $50/2.5 gallons, but they often have it on sale for $40/2.5 gallons.

Be aware that glyphosate is non-selective -- it will kill most vegetation. Although it is expensive, I have used Crossbow, a broadleaf herbicide, to kill privet in grassy areas.

Good luck.

Steve

/ Chinese privet Eradication #4  
Damon, I am glad Steve mentioned...if you don't have a Home Depot nearby...since I tried to buy what Steve mentioned and the one I mentioned at both TSC and my Local Home Depot...but they had neither one in stock and the clerk at Home Depot told me I would have to buy it on line...So I ordered mine over the internet from Home Depot. Shipping is free with a $45.00 order so if you need 2 like I did shipping is free or just buy something else for $6.00 and you will still be ahead..

Last edited:
   / Chinese privet Eradication #5  
I've also got lots of privet here in my woods. 2 years ago I learned what the local power company uses to eleminate invasives such as this. Generic name is triclopyr. The concentration is about 60 % I believe. the product is mixed into a pump sprayer at a 1 to 4 ratio with a basal oil (I use deisel). You only need to spray the privet, (or any other tree that is less than 6 inches at the ground on the bark. Spray completely around all of the base from the ground up to 12 to 15 inches. The plant is DEAD. Seems to work best in the fall (Sept, Oct), but label says it can be sprayed anytime of the year. You won't need an applicators license to purchase, but you won't find this (at that concentration) at Home Depot. Call your chemical supplier and ask for triclopyr (the brand name that I've been using is Element). 2.5 gallons costs $150.

/ Chinese privet Eradication #6  
X2 on what Curtis said.

I use Dow Remedy Ultra mixed with diesel on privet and other unwanted, small, woody brush. 1 part Remedy / 3parts diesel. Basal treatment. It doesn't take much, just spray the base of the tree/shrub up to about knee high.

Triclopyr is the active ingredient in Remedy. Generic might be less expensive. Again, I don't use that much. Above all, read the labels and observe the cautions.

For privet and a bunch of other undesirables....
Weed/Brush Identification
Use the pull down tabs for herbicide applications on specific plants.

Good luck.

/ Chinese privet Eradication #9  
I've been fighting multi-flora rose on our place for 16 years. I've tried Roundup and 2-4-d, either one will kill for about a year or so, but it always comes back. The only way I've found to erradicate it is to pull it out of the ground.
I use my 4 wheeler and a device from NE that grasps the trunk. I like the 4 wheeler because I can get into spots that the tractor won't go. It's not hard to pull it out down to the roots. Pull it into a burn pile and when it dries out set it afire.
The process of hooking it up goes a lot faster if you have a friend. This method is more work but a lot less expensive and it is a permanant solution.
Chineese privet is considered a non-native invasive species.

Last edited: