Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland / T4.75 Powerstar & Boomer 1030, Case 580 SM II

Default Re: I need some advice on mowing

bush hog gear boxes break too and the blades snap in half. Been there done that.

Tractor
    Kubota 4740

Bill, I feel like a fool. 4740=hp/pto-hp. I misread the specs in the owners manual. How could I not have caught that for so long...
    This will open a lot more options for me.
    Thank you.
    -Toban.

Tractor
    none any longer

Toban,

I think the "40" in 4740 is indicative of the current lineup of Grand L models. They range from the L3240 to the L5740. The first two numbers are close to the gross HP of each model, but the "40" just coincidentally matches your PTO HP.

Have fun shopping!
    Bill

Gold Member
    Tractor
    kubota 4200

Look at getting a twin spindle mower such as the Land Pride rcr 25 series in 8 foot. Due to leverage ???? the twin spindle will cut wider for the same horsepower over a single spindle mower. The Land Pride RCR 25 8 foot (really its 7' 10") is rated down to just 30 hp, I think your tractor would run it fine. Only 1 inch capacity however. Because of overlapping your really just getting about 4' 6" out of that 5 footer at best. You could cut about a 7' 2" with the Land Pride mower. A bigger tractor is the best option but since you say thats out of the question and you have so much to mow I would look at getting a light duty twin spindle 8 footer.

Some other thoughts, if your trying to just keep it pasture by cutting saplings mow when its winter. You can fly on that tractor if you mow in winter/early spring before the grass gets up and thick. Much faster than mowing say in June yet you'll still get the saplings down. If your mowing grass you can set your mower higher and that "gives" you more horsepower. Mowing say 2 inches high takes lots more power than 5 or 6 inches. Should give you more speed. But basically your limited to how fast you can mow with your horsepower. Bigger mower might let you mow faster but really nothing beats more horsepower for getting the job done quickly.

Tractor
    kubota M7040 &m7040

Spray it first,then come back later a mow once you killed the weeds. I hope you gotta cab

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 5075E Cab

You should be able to use a pull behind 8ft cutter all day. In fact, as long as the brush is not too tall/thick, you could probably use a 10ft pull behind. That would drastically reduce your time.

Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Quote Originally Posted by Brokken View Post
    Yeah, a new tractor is not really an option for me.
    I was wondering if a small flail would allow me to cut significantly faster?
    Or what about a sickle, or a haybine(new holland 488)?
    I have no experience at all with anything besides the hog.
    -cheers.
    My experience with my Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto), a 6-ft Hawkline brush hog, and a 5.5 ft Value Leader flail mower is that I can cut better and faster with the brush hog.

Sicklebar mowers and haybines cut the weeds once and lay them down nicely for raking and baling. Is this what you want, or do you want the cuttings chopped up like you get with a hog or flail?

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader

I helped a neighbor out a few years back when her tractor was down. I used her 12 ft. batwing to mow 40 acres of pasture she was trying to reclaim. The various weeds and grasses were about 16" high. My 45 horse Massey went through it in my regular turf mowing speed without even breathing hard. Surprised me. She uses the bat wing with her 50 horse JD.
    Gear Up and Throttle Down.

2011 Massey 2615, 7ft Woods Rear Discharge Finish Mower, 6 ft Lucknow Snow Blower, Danuser post hole digger with 12" and 24" augers, 350 lb 3 pt broadcast spreader, 7ft scraper blade, 7 ft. drag harrow, JD GT 275 rider with 38" snow blower attachment.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey 180 Diesel

If it were normal hay ground, and trying to cover all of that with that size of a tractor, a disc, or drum mower would really increase efficiency. Matched with the proper HP, you can mow, about as fast as you can hang on, but not recommended...

But rocks and saplings are not their friends... And cost, is another story...

Tractor
    Kubota 4740

Thanks for all the advice.
    Bilrus61- I agree with your assessment. I have a land pride rep close by, I'm going to get some quotes,

Flusher- I will be chopping up, not raking, so basically I was looking into how different types of cutters would stack up as far as speed, and efficiency.

Foreman-spraying is not an option, but I was thinking i could probably build a flamethrower for a fairly reasonable price!..

-thanks again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast