3-Point Hitch Using a 3 PH Aerator

/ Using a 3 PH Aerator #1  

MoreCowbell

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2350
I just finished converting a pull style aerator to work with the 3PH on my Kubota BX2350. Since my yard is not perfectly flat, the hitch rides up and down as the aerator rolls on the ground.

My problem is when the aerator needs to go lower to keep contact with the ground, the 3PH doesn't let it since it was not lowered to that point. I suppose I could just keep the lever pushed down to keep the hitch completely loose, but I'm wondering if anyone has a better idea. Maybe swap my lift links with chains to allow the lift mechanism to completely drop?

Thanks.

/ Using a 3 PH Aerator #2  
I converted a cultipacker from pull to 3pt. Opposite problem, can't lift as high as I want. If you don't have enough adjustment in lift arms to get low as you want, can you move pins with much trouble? That's what I'm going to do.

/ Using a 3 PH Aerator
Thanks for the reply. I actualy do have the downward travel needed to get the aerator as low as I need. My problem is a little different (and awkward to explain). If I lower the 3PH to allow the aerator to fully engage the ground, that works fine until the ground starts to tilt downward. At that point, the 3PH starts to lift the aerator off the ground as the tractor pitches down.

I suppose what would be perfect is a float position on the 3PH valve. That would allow the aerator to have its full weight on the ground at all times. I guess the best I can do is sort of a poor man's float by keeping the lever pushed down while aerating.

/ Using a 3 PH Aerator #4  
I understand. Can you post pic of your set up? Like to see what everyone else is doing.

/ Using a 3 PH Aerator #5  
disconnect your solid top link and use a chain instead

/ Using a 3 PH Aerator #6  
If I understand correctly, the problem is that the 3PH lever on the BX is the self-returning kind that lowers the 3PH and then automatically centers the lever. This holds the 3PH in the set position rather than letting it float.

Then when you go over a rise the aerator/3PH will maintain its position and the tines will clear the ground. In a dip the tines are fine since the 3PH floats with upward force on it.

I have read posts of folks using a bungee cord to hold the lever in the down position. This doesn't seem to put the hydraulic pump in a bind like holding the lever in the up position.

On my BX there is a return rod near the right tire that can be adjusted so the lowering lever will not automatically return to center. Moving the lever and looking from the rear will indicate the lever. There is a spring and a couple of nuts on the rod.

/ Using a 3 PH Aerator #7  

very good idea. just like letting a snow plow float on the road surface.:thumbsup:

/ Using a 3 PH Aerator #8  
I do not understand how using chain for a top link will let the implement drop any more than a standard top link.

/ Using a 3 PH Aerator #9  
I do not understand how using chain for a top link will let the implement drop any more than a standard top link.

if the problem is when the front of the tractor starts down a hill, the back end of the tractor will actually start to point more up towards the sky, thus lifting his aereator off the ground. the top link would then actually pull tight and lift it up. however if that top link was not there, the 3ph aerator would just pivot off the two lower links. just like float. in a way you could just disconnect the top link when aerating and then when done, get on level ground and reattach the top link to lift for transport. you are right. i guess the chain would not be necessary.

/ Using a 3 PH Aerator #10  
I must be missing something. You just put the lever all the way down and it will just follow the contour of the ground. You don't lower your implement until it touches the ground and leave the lever in that position. Doing that will not allow your 3 pt hitch to lower any further. This is normal and you will not cause any damage. You are simply setting the lower limit of the range of travel as the implement floats along with the contour of the land.