Mechanical Cultivation w/ Compact Tractor

/ Mechanical Cultivation w/ Compact Tractor #1  

ShenandoahJoe

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7300
Trying to figure out if I can control weeds with a cultivator behind my little Kubota B7300. I grow vegetables without herbicides or pesticides. Hope to get into small grains some day.

I dropped by Everything Attachments, and they recommend a 4-foot, single-row cultivator. That's about equal to the width of my tractor. So it looks like I'd need just under three feet between rows. I'd cultivate left of row 1, and the space between rows 1 and 2 on the first pass. Then I come back and do the interior spaces between rows 2, 3, and 4. Then the spaces between 4,5, and 6.

I've never actually seen this done. Am I thinking about this right?

/ Mechanical Cultivation w/ Compact Tractor #2  
Trying to figure out if I can control weeds with a cultivator behind my little Kubota B7300. I grow vegetables without herbicides or pesticides. Hope to get into small grains some day.

I dropped by Everything Attachments, and they recommend a 4-foot, single-row cultivator. That's about equal to the width of my tractor. So it looks like I'd need just under three feet between rows. I'd cultivate left of row 1, and the space between rows 1 and 2 on the first pass. Then I come back and do the interior spaces between rows 2, 3, and 4. Then the spaces between 4,5, and 6.

I've never actually seen this done. Am I thinking about this right?
That's the problem with personal visits. You can't see the videos.

Go here and watch the video. Tractor 3 Point Hitch One Row #10 Cultivator

Everything Attachments has a video for almost every implement they sell. Great site.

/ Mechanical Cultivation w/ Compact Tractor #3  
Be aware that different type shovels are available that will work better for weed cultivation.:thumbsup:

/ Mechanical Cultivation w/ Compact Tractor #4  
Stevens Tractor has a variation in both 4 or 6 tine size also. I'm unsure of all the funtional differences between spring tines with narrow blades and rigid tines with small shovel tips.

I'd think it an advantage to be able to adjust the tine height so's to follow the contour of hilled rows.

Free Vegetable Garden Videos

Last edited:
   / Mechanical Cultivation w/ Compact Tractor
...and a great accent to listen to. I can smell the filé powder from here.

What I get from this is that you leave at least twice as much space between the rows. The outside edges of the cultivator's swath aren't the same as the inside edges, so you can't do three rows in two passes.

/ Mechanical Cultivation w/ Compact Tractor #7  
...and a great accent to listen to. I can smell the filé powder from here.

What I get from this is that you leave at least twice as much space between the rows. The outside edges of the cultivator's swath aren't the same as the inside edges, so you can't do three rows in two passes.

Actually, you can do 3 rows with one pass, just depends on row spacing and wheel spacing and tire width on the tractor, and what you are planting. The tines on the cultivator are removable and adjustable to different widths (a 5' cultivator is better for this).

But with that said..........It's much easier to place the rows as the videos show and cultivate 1 row at a time.