Calcium Chloride Corrosive?

/ Calcium Chloride Corrosive? #11  
I can attest to the CC eating through rims. We have a 1970's 1066 International and the CC has about eaten through both rims. This tractor has been shedded 99% of it's downtime life. First place to usually begin to get weak is around the valve stems. It is corrosive, takes a while to eat through, and is unfriendly to environment.

Adding weight is good and Rim Guard, aka beet juice, weighs almost as much per gallon as CC without the corrosion problem.

A "70's 1066"-so that means best case it's 33 years old and worst case it's 42 years old! For what Rimguard costs, I think the economics say use Calcium and put the cash difference in the bank-what is Rimguard 3 bucks plus a gallon?

I've been told by more than one commercial tire guy that corrosion is a non issue with calcium as long as the tires are properly filled-that means the beads have to be always in solution-that means 80% filled???

/ Calcium Chloride Corrosive? #12  
If you want to buy a new rim 33 or 42 years from now. If you can even find one. I have done this calcium chloride rim thing on a 1964 MF135. I'll not do that ever again.

/ Calcium Chloride Corrosive? #13  
CCL is fine in contact with steel as long as you use a corrosion prevention additive, check it once in awhile to ensure it is still active, replace when it becomes corrosive. I did industrial refrigeration in my younger day and CCL was used extensively for fast freezing products and keeping ice off low temp fan coils by spraying. It was a mess when the additive was not used, everything corroded. It is worse when in contact with air also. We opened pipes that had had CCL in them for 30 years and they were as clean as new and others that were corroded almost through. From what I here around here CCL filling is hard to find, everyone wants to sell the high profit new stuff. CCL is cheap as well as the additive. If you use a lot for a large fleet look into doing your own filling.

Ron

/ Calcium Chloride Corrosive? #14  
Tractor Seabee said:
CCL is fine in contact with steel as long as you use a corrosion prevention additive, check it once in awhile to ensure it is still active, replace when it becomes corrosive. I did industrial refrigeration in my younger day and CCL was used extensively for fast freezing products and keeping ice off low temp fan coils by spraying. It was a mess when the additive was not used, everything corroded. It is worse when in contact with air also. We opened pipes that had had CCL in them for 30 years and they were as clean as new and others that were corroded almost through. From what I here around here CCL filling is hard to find, everyone wants to sell the high profit new stuff. CCL is cheap as well as the additive. If you use a lot for a large fleet look into doing your own filling.

Ron

Sounds good but many owners on here will not be able to check their CC in their tires. They would have to have someone come in and check it.

As far as my other post on this subject. Considering that the IH 1066 was a field tractor and the rims are considerably thicker than any of the small tractors usually discussed on this forum. Another thing is the steel. Don't know about you but the way I see it steel lasted a whole lot longer back then than it does now. I have seen some posts on here with tractors already getting body rust after a very short time. While our old IH has some surface rust all the metal is still sound except for the rear rims and their CC filling.

/ Calcium Chloride Corrosive? #15  
We've used cc for 40+ years in the same wheels, but it beginning to take it's toll. Still have 3 tractors with cc, but the two newest ones have 20% methanol.