Front end loader forks for brush

/ Front end loader forks for brush #1  

damon c

Tractor
JD 4310
Hi Guys,

Can anyone lend advice on using bolt on or chain on forks on a front end loader to move brush? Is there any safety issue other then overloading or having the load roll back over onto the operator? Any brand of fork better than the other? I have a lot of trees to cut and moving all the branches is getting to be a pain. I want to get a brush grapple but the war department will not let me spend the money. She tells me moving all branches by hand is good exercise for me.

Thanks
Damon

/ Front end loader forks for brush #2  
" but the war department will not let me spend the money. She tells me moving all branches by hand is good exercise for me."

Marriage 50/50,thats your pile to pull/pick up hon. ;)

/ Front end loader forks for brush #3  
Sorry, don't have bolt on forks, so I can't help there, but what I've done to clean up branches in the past is to lay down a rope with a loop in one end. I throw the branches in a pile across the rope, then put the end of the rope through the end with the loop and tie it off to the FEL. Raising and curling the FEL tightens the rope and you can either lift or drag them anywhere you need to go. I usually use two ropes and tie each to my bucket hooks on either side so it stays straight and doesn't swing into the tractor. Not as much fun or as fast as a grapple, but it works well and beats doing it by hand. If your branches are too big for this method, they'll quickly get too big for bolt on forks anyway.

I've seen new grapples go for under the $600 mark in auctions, check Used Heavy Equipment for Sale | Heavy Equipment Auctions | Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers to see if there's one close to you or check kijiji.com

/ Front end loader forks for brush #4  
I have had fair success with SSQA forks of just driving under the pile of brush and lift out a wad. You get what you get, but it is way quicker than stacking neatly on the forks to just use the tractor and make several trips.. Then clean up the tidbits left over. Works pretty good. Not nearly effective as a grapple would be, but it does work, especially if your brush is still leafy and clumps together pretty well.

James K0UA

/ Front end loader forks for brush #5  
I purchased a set of clamp on forks that have the 2x4 receiver in the back of the forks...
I can pick up quite a pile of debris with this arrangement with a cost of only $170...
Well worth it IMHO...

/ Front end loader forks for brush #6  
Damon,

I have a skid steer and a TN70D Tractor with remotes on the front end loader. The tractor has quik tach on the FEL. I tried picking up brush and trash with a bucket and some pallet forks which didn't work very well as much of the trash and brush would fall off of the forks or bucket when I picked it up. I ordered a "thumb" (The Thumb) and mounted it on the pallet forks. This works very well. I have moved a lot of brush/trash with them and even wrecked out a couple of old barns and out buildings. One of the barns was sheet iron over a wood frame. I was able to strip all the sheet iron off the wood framework using just the pallet forks and grapple so I could sell it at the scrappers. I bought the "thumb" several years ago for about $350.00 including hoses and flat face connectors. I just rigged it up about 3 months ago. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the thumb. I had considered making one but it would have cost me more to make than to buy.

I have no interest in or relationship with this company other than as a satisfied customer.

Hope this helps,

Tim

/ Front end loader forks for brush #7  
I got some chain-on forks for my loader a few years ago, brush pile is one of the best things they are good for! Works great. Throw your brush into a pile with the brances aligned with each other, make a bigger pile than you think you could move, put the forks about on the ground level, drive into the pile so the branches pile up a little, tilt your bucket back a bit, lift, and wow - worked much better than I hoped.

I like the chain on type, the load is carried by the top of the bucket, not a small portion of the loader bucket bottom, so it doesn't bend the loader bottom.

--->Paul

/ Front end loader forks for brush #8  
Just something to think about. If you have a quick attach bucket you can buy a plate with a 3pt setup that replaces the bucket. Now you use any 3pt attachment on the front. now you can use a fork on front or rear. put a back blade on the front to plow snow. bale spear. utility carrier. I even made a po boy backhoe. search for pictures.

/ Front end loader forks for brush #9  
On my old Kubota BX24, I had a set of Bxpanded Brush Forks. These things were terrific at 1) picking up and moving brush piles and 2) ripping brush and thickets from the ground.

I used them for 2 seasons to clear unwanted blackberry thickets and also to haul untold amounts of debris to burn piles. Have since sold the tractor but will be picking up my new tractor this Thursday which included a grapple for such work.

My experience is that the forks will work well once you have gotten used to them.

/ Front end loader forks for brush #10  
I built a set of long bolt on forks. They worked better than I thought!
Does take a "technique" to getting a full load.
Wish I would have made them out of next larger size tubing ( bent one ).