Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    2012 Mahindra Max 22, JD Stx38, JD Stx46

Default What type of coverage to place on your tractor

Some of you folks probably need to have insurance on your tractors. Farm polices have coverages I am not familiar with since I do not sell that type of coverage, but many of us are regular homeowners who think their home policy will cover their tractor may find themselves out of luck. It will cover, as long as it is a named peril loss or theft. But if you are hauling it down the road and it ends up in the ditch or you roll it over and total it you are out of luck.

I placed what is called a Personal Articles Policy on mine with a rider for mobility which would cover all of the above and it is replacement, which means if 3 years from now I had a loss, I wouldn't be replacing it with an unknown used tractor, but a comparable replacement. The cost for my Mahindra Max 22 with FEL and MMM was 180 bucks for the year, well worth it to me with the amount of traveling I do between homes.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: What type of coverage to place on your tractor

As long as I am on my land it is fully covered.

Tractor
    2012 Mahindra Max 22, JD Stx38, JD Stx46

Murphy, if you rolled your tractor it would not be covered under your home policy, it is not a named peril. If you have a farm policy there may be provisions I am not aware of since I do not write that type of policy. If you hit your tractor with your car it would not be covered. The list is endless since the home policy has so many limitations.

Tractor
    2005 New Holland TT55

I use Equipment Insurance International, a marine inland policy that covers my tractor and FEL wherever it may be... at home, on the road, my other property or on someone else property. It covers everything except maintenance and repairs due to wear, for $125 a year with a $250 deductible.
    Bob...

2005 New Holland TT55 Tractor, BushHog M300 Loader, Worksaver FLGR-4062S Grapple
    2003 John Deere G100 garden tractor
    2013 Simplicity Prestige garden tractor

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK50 HST

100% payoff coverage and accident. Also tractor fully covered for anything except mechanical damage 100 miles or less from home. 2 different policys. CJ
    Kioti DK50HST Cab
    401 FEL
    Saws, 338xp,346xp mod,372xp mod, 390xp, Stihl combi 130 trimmer.

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Some dealers cover any tractor that they carry papers on..but that coverage ONLY pays off the loan. your left with a destroyed or semi useless tractor.

I paid cash for my tractor, so i wanted coverage for it. I checked Progressive, state farm and farmers ins carriers, and NONE would include it in a standard homeowners policy. My current state farm FARM policy didn't even cover it unless it happened to be inside a covered building that burnt down. Basically it requires it own coverage. For about $250/year, i have $45,000 worth of coverage on the tractor, snowblower and plow. It also gives me commercial coverage so i can plow our association roads AND other peoples driveways without fear of losing my house.Its a inland marine rider ... the same as i have covering my commercial shop.

Basically any specialty item (jewelry, guns, cameras, tractors,etc) under standard and even most farm policies require separate riders. I was told that larger farms/ranches have different policies that cover a wide range of equipment. While your existing truck insurance WILL cover any damage caused by your tractor while it is being towed on your trailer...it WONT cover YOUR tractor.... only any damage your tractor does.

Bottom line... for $250/yr why risk it. Now if a tree breaks off and destroys the glass cab... i pay $500 and the insurance pays the rest. Also...an interesting note on the policy. If i DAMAGE the loader while plowing or snowblowing....im COVERED for the repairs. If i wreck the blower during use...IM COVERED for repairs (less the $500 ded).
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Tractor
    2011 JD 2520

I just added it as personal property, named on my homeowners policy. I think I pay about $150/year for $26,000 coverage and I'm covered whether I'm at home, trailering or on someone else's property. The only thing I have to keep in mind is, I didn't go with the commercial coverage so I can't be working for money. I figured that is fine, because the only work I do off my property is at my parent's house or at a friend's, and I'm not working for money. I might not pass up a cold beverage afterwards, but not for money . Very well worth the money in my opinion!
    2011 JD2520, 200CX w/61" bucket, 54" QH Snowblower, 62D MMM, LX4 cutter, L1048 BB

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Mine are covered by liability between farms and fully covered while on our properties. I had to check with my agent to verify.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    LS R4047 Mahindra 3505 Di

Quote Originally Posted by grsthegreat View Post
    Some dealers cover any tractor that they carry papers on..but that coverage ONLY pays off the loan. your left with a destroyed or semi useless tractor.

I paid cash for my tractor, so i wanted coverage for it. I checked Progressive, state farm and farmers ins carriers, and NONE would include it in a standard homeowners policy. My current state farm FARM policy didn't even cover it unless it happened to be inside a covered building that burnt down. Basically it requires it own coverage. For about $250/year, i have $45,000 worth of coverage on the tractor, snowblower and plow. It also gives me commercial coverage so i can plow our association roads AND other peoples driveways without fear of losing my house.Its a inland marine rider ... the same as i have covering my commercial shop.

Basically any specialty item (jewelry, guns, cameras, tractors,etc) under standard and even most farm policies require separate riders. I was told that larger farms/ranches have different policies that cover a wide range of equipment. While your existing truck insurance WILL cover any damage caused by your tractor while it is being towed on your trailer...it WONT cover YOUR tractor.... only any damage your tractor does.

Bottom line... for $250/yr why risk it. Now if a tree breaks off and destroys the glass cab... i pay $500 and the insurance pays the rest. Also...an interesting note on the policy. If i DAMAGE the loader while plowing or snowblowing....im COVERED for the repairs. If i wreck the blower during use...IM COVERED for repairs (less the $500 ded).
    Who do you have your coverage with.
    LS R4047 Gear Shuttle Shift
    Fit Rite TnT
    Woods RD72 Heritage Finish Mower
    Woods BB72 Brush Hog
    NH 918H Flail
    United 672HD Box Blade
    United 600 20 x 20 Disc
    Homemade Quick Attach Trailer Mover/Lift Plate

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader

I have $50,000 dollars in total loss coverage on the barn every thing in it. This covers power tools, hand tools, implements and the tractor. The coverage is only good while the machine is on our property.
    I don't know what it cost as it's bundled together with the cars and home owner's insurance.
    We also have $2,000,000 coverage in a liability umbrella policy.
    Gear Up and Throttle Down.

2011 Massey 2615, 7ft Woods Rear Discharge Finish Mower, 6 ft Lucknow Snow Blower, Danuser post hole digger with 12" and 24" augers, 350 lb 3 pt broadcast spreader, 7ft scraper blade, 7 ft. drag harrow, JD GT 275 rider with 38" snow blower attachment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast